Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for Bulding Stand-alone Access Applications ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo79

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
US
I want to built and re-sell a stand-alone MS Access application (using Access 2002).
I am not sure what Microsoft sotware will enable me to do that.
Will the Access developer extensions as part of the Visual Studio Tools for MS Office do the trick by themselves?
Do I need any other software? (ie. the basic visual studio package)
Thank you in advance for those able to help! Cheers!

I think Office 2002 still used the Office Developer Edition to create run-times. This comes with package and deployment feature.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Thanks Duane for the quick response. I did take a look at the MS 2002 developers editions. It seems like it is a possible solution. 2 more questions:

1. Could I also use the .net framework? If yes, what - if any - would be the advantage(s) of doing so? (I might want to move to Access 2003 at a later point)
2. Assuming I can use .net for my needs, what specifically do I need to buy in order to build a stand-alone MS Access (2002) application?

Again, thanks for your help!

I am not up on .net (as I would like to be). Perhaps there is a forum here at Tek-Tips. The .net framework I don't believe allows you to create apps, just run them using the clr (common language runtime). You may need Visual Studio .net or one of its components to create applications.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

whiule somewhat tangential, my advice would be to use VB directly. It is certainly 'easier' to distribute in many ways and can easily address the data in a Jet (.MDB) data set. In my opinion, many businesses regard Ms. Access as a "toy" (perhaps "Personal" is a better (PC) term?) application, so would regard an application devloped in VB as more 'worthy'.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Using VB is better? I'd have to agree. We've found that the marketing of apps, specifically built in VB6 or VB.NET that base all dbase work on Access is a great way to provide a low-cost app to potential clients.

While our apps are mostly b2b, we do also have some out there to retail customers as well...and tho Access is not a powerhouse db application, within our own usage, it runs fine...ie single user interface and no load at all.

So...my advice is to also try to create a VB app, that you can backend with Access...works for us nicely!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back