Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOFTWARE ERROR/DAMAGE/FAILURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma3x323

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
US
Hey People,
Ok, it has been 3 days that I have been searching for this. Apparently, I have found nothing. So I resulted to asking you people here since all of you know more than I do. Here's the problem: (Not hardware-related, could be)
I have to do research for my Formal Methods class (talk about Z Notation) that discusses about Software Issues. The research paper is to find a software that had an error and failed and damaged a system/people. I can't find anything about software failure/damage/hazards/error. Do any of you know of a software that failed and done something like this?
An example would be the ATM incident in which the user entered the PIN and no receipt and money came out. But then the account balance got less and less. It was a fauly software from the ATM company.
If you have any links, can you please post. And NO is a VERY CRAPPY SITE!! Links are dead.

THANKS IN ADVANCE. -Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.
If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

Don't know where to find it, but the x-ray company that burned a lot of people because of a keyboard programming error comes to mind.
How about the KAL keyentry problem, where error checking could have prevented the problem. Plane was shot down over Russian territory.
How about the Gimli glider incident, with fuel amount conversion error that resulted in the plane running out of fuel. More of a system failure than a programming error.
Grand Canyon airliner crash with two planes at the same altitude at the same time?
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I think I have heard of that X-Ray one. Thanks with the other ones. I'll try to do some searches for the incidents you have mentioned. I'll see if I'll get successful on those searches.

Thanks a lot ED!! -Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.
If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back