Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Distribution problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2003
US
Here is a brief view of our organization. We are running 2000+ Windows 2000 workstations with approx 1500 on our LAN and another 500+ spread out across our WAN at about 40 different locations. We have our a site server running on a dual pentium 450 machine with 1 GB of RAM and one CAP along with 5 distribution points.

About a week ago when rolling out an update I noticed things came to a crawl and they are still that way now. For example, just running a test package one a single PC is taking hours for it to actually install. With our last big push last week, SMS showed that 2010 clients actually received the package but it ran on only 700 total. Normally within a day it will have hit all the workstations in the collection. I tried to do some tracing with the package, following the paths that the files take after the package is created and advertised and the problem seems to be the communication between the CAP and Site Server.

For the test package yesterday I have noticed under Advertisement Status that the client has not received the package but i know for a fact that it did run successfully on the system it just has not reported it yet and it has been almost 24 hours now.

Anyone have any thoughts?

FYI.....in regards to the above posting i did forget to mention something. Both the CAP and site server (which has the SQL database) run on WINNT. I noticed at lunch time that the CAPs time was 13 minutes ahead of the site server. They have since been synced. Might this be related to the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back