Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Distribution Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2002
US
this is showing up in my execmgr.log file

<![LOG[Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI.]LOG]!>

All works except software distribution to the clients.

Active Directory Single Domain with Central SMS 2003 Server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jay

Could be a few things, but let's start with the simple.

On one of your clients - Control Panel, Systems Management, Components tab. Check the SMS Software Distribution Agent, is it enabled?

there is no 'enabled' but it says it's installed.

i have installed the legacy client on a few pcs and distribution works great.

OK, you need to enable it. I can't remember how to do that. I'll do some research. Hopefully someone here remembers.

in 2.0 its in site settings | client agents... and enable it. not either about 2003

Tim B

There isn't an agent for software distribution in 2003, but there is a component. However, there isn't a 'Enable' option.

JayKarabin, on the Systems Management console on the client under the Actions tab is there an action related to software distribution? If so, do an initiate action.

no there isn't, there is only one for machine policy and user policy.

advertised programs client is setup correctly, etc.. like i said the legacy client is fine.

i also have iis & webdav installed on the server. i'm not using BITS yet.

the remote client doesn't work on the advanced client installations either.

Site Database -> Site Hierachy -> <Site Code> -> Site Settings -> Site Systems -> Right-click on your server -> Select Properties -> Distribution Point tab.

Is 'Use this site system as a distribution point.' checked?

yes, it is enabled, along with SLP, MP, and reporting server. i've also rebuilt the wbem repository and that didn't help.

On the client's Systems Management Actions tab, do an initiate action on both the user and machine policy. Give it a few minutes then see if the SMS Software Distribution Agent component has been enabled.

yeah, no luck. goes through the policy retreviel but no new components

Site database -> System Status -> Advertisement Status.

What kind of error messages do you see there when trying to distribute software?

Hmmm, early on you said "advertised programs client is setup correctly". Does this mean you checked the Advertised Programs Client Agent? There is a 'Enable software distribution' flag there.

yep, that is 'enabled'.

were there any special steps you've taken during the sms installation that perhaps i've missed? maybe if we take a reverse look at the installation,?

anyone have good step-by-step process out there?

thank you all for your help.

side-note, i looked at the com+ apps on the server and the iis/msmq was running under an account that was no longer on the server. i've changed that to a valid account and started the service. no change yet.

anyone have experience when you have the advanced client installed on the workstations and you want to roll them back to the legacy client?

as of right now our advanced client installations are useless, so to temp fix it I wanted to install the legacy client (which does work in the environment).

maybe the push install?

update:

the MP was the issue with the Advanced Clients.

simply to narrow things out, i installed IIS and BITS on a test server, then enabled the server as a MP.

after the installation was completed, I removed the MP services off the other server.

on my client i initiated machine policy and wham, all the agents came down!

i was going to do a full reformat on the site server and i'm assuming that this would have fixed the issue, but i've also uninstalled and reinstalled IIS on that machine too.

thanks for all those that responded to my post and good luck to all.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back