Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

software deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
can you guys recomend and easy software deployment? just need something i can install/remove software remotedly (no vnc). I can create msis but can't find a reasonable software. Either too expensive or not reliable. I've tested about 15 software (from sms, to emco, netinstaller, netsteller.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Hi,
if budget allow, and the company is big, i recommend the following
Altiris Asset Management Solution
if medium size if recommend System Center Configuration Manager 2007

if small company, just use Active Directory software deployment, but depends on MSI,

Happy new year,

Porkchop

CISSP
MCITP : Enterprise Administrator

We just purchased a solution from Kace ( called the KBOX 1000 series. This pretty much does it all whether it's msi, exe, com, bat, registry changes, etc... Has a ton of functionality (inventory, asset management, patch management, help desk, etc...) and compared to Altiris, was a good bit cheaper.

Thanks for the reply. Actually i've checked both. Kbox is a hardware solution but very expensive as it does quite a bit. All i need is, I can even do individual workstations deployment and interested in remote software remove/install.

I've also checked altris. However, they get you when you have to purchased 1-100 licenses first option and up to 500 the next. I only need 50 the most.

I can't use AD unfortunately.

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks

To answer your question TechyMcSe2K, I have mine licensed for 2000 nodes, but I can license for much higher if I remember correctly.

Joblack23, the Kbox will do both software install and uninstall, and since I'm a K-12 Education, my pricing might have been somewhat cheaper than commercial pricing. I know it ties a lot to LDAP in creating groups to apply settings/installs/etc... to, but you'd have to talk to their support to see about the non AD environment for sure.

You also might want to find a reseller for your price instead of direct since that's how I got better pricing as well.

All that being said, its pricing is cheaper when comparing to that of proper SMS or Altiris installations, but maybe way more $$ than a singlely focussed product just to manage software install.

Hope you find something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back