Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone on notebook not working when roaming. BCM 50 RLS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macoles

Technical User
Aug 14, 2005
US
I have just had a softphone 2050 installed on my laptop.

At home and on private wireless networks it works great but just went roaming on a public paid for network and although got connection to server and could hear messages, paging, etc could not make calls because the microphone did not seem to work.

Is this a problem that I was warned about, i.e., that public network providers close off port 5000 to avoid heavy use of traffic? I am really so pleased with the softphone at home but this is a real shame if there is going to be this problem. Any ideas? BTW IP SOFTPHONE VERSION 2.02.264.

In case its relevant also use GOTOMYPC at same time but this does not interfere with working from home.

All info appreciated.

Make personal not to truncate questions in future!

Interesting that there is someone else with the same or similar problem to this. Any other ideas? Or very interested to hear from anyone that has successfully got this to work on a public wifi service?

Use a VPN and launch your client before launching your softphone. Will work flawlessly and is simple.

Hope so, got home after testing to discover I had accidentally changed the mic source setting which would have confused the result!!!!

Only found this after returning back to the island and finding same problem at home! Soon found it and then it worked. Much joy!

Will keep you all posted as will just have to try different wi-fi's locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back