Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone for Windows / communicator on 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justplainjo

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2007
US
I am trying to setup a user with a softphone on a windows laptop using an IP Office running 9.1.4.0.

Avaya says it is no longer supported in 9.1; however, I have it working perfectly on an IP Office running 9.1.3.

Support says that I need to use communicator now, which has almost 0 functionality unless installed together with One-x Portal.

Any ideas on how to get softphone working?

Jo Levi
ACSS

Is this a new install?

"This user guide covers use of the legacy IP Office Video Softphone Version 3.2. This is a legacy version only supported for existing users whose IP Office system has been upgraded to IP Office Release 9.1.
New Windows users should contact their system administrator regarding installing Avaya Flare Communicator."

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

No. We installed a few months ago. Just adding softphone for a remote user now.

Jo Levi
ACSS

Yeah, but has it ever been below 9.1?
As said above "This is a legacy version only supported for existing users whose IP Office system has been upgraded to IP Office Release 9.1"

If they never used Legacy Softphone before they must use Avaya Communicator.

janni78,

Just a quick follow up:
This was an upgrade from a v1 to a v2. We transferred licenses; but kept cards and cabinets from the old system.

Additionally, how would the system be able to tell that it is an upgrade as opposed to a new install? what is triggering the system to know to block softphone?

any additional help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jo

Jo Levi
ACSS

my best guess would be that you explicitly need a license for that client, which you can't buy anymore, but would be allowed to be carried forward in an upgrade scenario

I work with Joe
We have the Soft Phone / Teleworker license. We can set the user to Teleworker, software just wont work/connect.

Isaac Braca
Avaya ACA - IP Office
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.

ICCS, Your Premier IT & Telecom Partner, is a New York City Based Avaya SMB Expert Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

Visit and Post on my Blog:

I'm guessing that if you have a Software Upgrade license for 9.1 in the system it knows it's an upgrade, if not it's a new install.

then we lose other features we need from 9.1

Isaac Braca
Avaya ACA - IP Office
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.

ICCS, Your Premier IT & Telecom Partner, is a New York City Based Avaya SMB Expert Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

Visit and Post on my Blog:

Well, downgrade and lock the firmware version, then buy an upgrade license and upgrade to 9.1 and see if it works.

Have never tried if it works in 9.1 but if you have a demo system that's upgraded to 9.1 and it works there it should work doing the same for the customer.

Avaya need to get their stuff together with softphones, it's a mess what they've done so far, with no improvement in sight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back