Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone 2050 with Windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavrunin

Technical User
Oct 25, 2004
US
We have just had a Softphone install completed to a CS1000 using the Nortel SSL-VPN box. The Softphone comes up and is working fine for a couple of minutes and then it loses the connection to the Signalling Server. The Softphone reinitializes and the connection is reestablished. If a call is in progress, it does not drop of have any hiccups whatsoever so it appears that the VPN is stable. The company we are working with says they tried it with Windows XP and it worked fine but with Windows 7 (32bit) it has this problem. I also see the problem with Vista. We have not yet tried with XP but will. Has anyone seen this behaviour and know of a fix for it.
Thanks,
Larry Avrunin

I personally at my company use a Nortel (not Avaya) VPN Solution, and have the 4.0 Version of the Softphone running and it seems to run perfectly fine on my Windows 7 32-bit client. Have you attempted to use the new release of the Softphone, cause I know anything past 3 you are required to have a licensing server.

Hope it helps.

Its actually a Nortel that they now call Avaya because of the purchase. It is a 3050 running version 8.0.3.0. What software version are you using. The VPN tunnel really works fine--the problem is the interfacing of the Softphone app to the tunnel interface while doing the Keep Alives with the Sig Serve. We have used version 3 and 4 with the indentical results.

We have the same 2 minute i2050 resets while on our Juniper VPN. i2050 versions 3 - 4.1 all are affected as well as Windows 7 and XP 2002 w/service pack 3. Windows FW is disabled on the laptops as part of a group policy. Wireshark shows the Keep ALives going through from what we can tell. If the softphone sits idle it drops at 2 minutes.

So its not just the Nortel VPN, unless they repackage the Juniper one which some companies do. Would be interesting to find out. When you say Wireshark shows the keepalives going through is that the the softphone side of the tunnel, or since you say going through it must be on the CS1000 side. Question is does the CS1000 actually receive the Keep Alive and does it respond to it.

Can you determine if the Keep Alive is being sent back to the i205 or is the VPN not picking it up for transmission and if so--why not. We are working with a contractor that was supposed to do this turn key and they have opened a ticket with Avaya and hopefully they can provide some insight. I will post whatever I find out.

So, have either of you put a sniffer on the TLAN of SigServer to see what is going on with the keepalive? Better than guessing anyway.

I have not--because I do not have one and believe the problem is with NETDIRECT and windows. It works fine with Windows XP but drops server with Vista and 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back