Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SoftConsole / VoIP / Workplace setup for receptionist working from home 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercenaryCompGenius

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2023
US
running IPO 500v2 11.1.2.4 with AppServer virtual appliance

I have 2 recpetionists who use SoftConsole and a digital phone at their desks. In the event of exciting weather I'm trying to figure out the easiest/best method for them to be able to answer and direct calls from home. I have a PC for each of them that is loaded with WireGuard VPN client which connects to our Arista Edge Threat Management NGFW (formerly Untangle) that has the everything license (giving me the options to IPsec, OpenVPN, WireGuard VPN, site-to-site or client connections). I have 9641GS and 9608G phones with VPN and licenses available. I recently finally got Workspace to work as a SoftPhone on a Windows installation. I have yet to be able to figure out how to get the VoIP phone to work with the Arista NGFW VPN.

Any ideas on what might be the quickest or least painful/costly way for me to get at least one of them the ability to answer the main line and direct calls when they aren't in the building. I have a hardware site-to-site VPN at my home with a 9641GS connected but I had to purchase the Untangle Total Home license and fight for quite some time before I could get the phone to fully function (it just magically rang one day) and I can run SoftConsole, but people above my pay grade dont want me answering the phones. go figure.

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Tyler

Some people suffer from mental illness. I try to enjoy every minute of mine, it's everyone around me that I'm concerned may be suffering.

As they'll need Softconsole anyway the easiest solution is to just use Workplace as a softphone. They'll need Power User licensing.

I love your expression "exciting weather" :)
for some it is a snowstorm and panic sets in for others it is exciting and exhilarating

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Has anyone got workplace working with softconsole remotely

Customer has VPN, workplace works, but can't make/transfer calls via softconsole

Workplace and Softconsole should work independently so if you answer the calls on Workplace then you should still be able to control the call via the softconsole. At least that is how it used to be. I have not installed the combination in quite a while.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

If the user still has the desk phone logged in then you won't be able to control the Workplace call. The system will always see the a desk phone as the primary telephony device and try to use that before any other devices (Windows or Mobile Workplace Clients). If it's logged in and the call is answered on the client then the phone is idle as far as the system/soft console is concerned and it thinks no call is in progress. Try logging it out and see if that helps.

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH'.
The paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

Ekster hit the nail on the head. I was able to Workplace and Softconsole to play nice together but without a way to get in to the office I couldn't figure out how to log the desk phone out remotely. Soooo, I created a new Home extension and switched the receptionist flag from her desk phone to her Workplace line and everything worked perfectly!

Thank you for putting me on the right track IPOLackey!

Some people suffer from mental illness. I try to enjoy every minute of mine, it's everyone around me that I'm concerned may be suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back