Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soft Console or Communicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

94astro

Programmer
Jul 21, 2013
US
Hello Pros,

I am going to be proposing an IP office solution to a potential client that has a small call center 4-6 people. They want their agents to use soft phones since that is what they use now with a crappy hosted solution. A few of their needs make me want to go the soft console route, but I'm not sure as I have very little experience with both Communicator and Soft Console.

They want to be able to see the caller's caller ID info, and the department they chose. For example "John Doe -> (213)555-5555 -> Repairs". I'm not sure if either show this.

They also want to be able to park calls which I only think you can do easily on Communicator.

Does anyone know if either can do both? Any help is appreciated.

Soft Console is a management tool for the phone, not a phone itself. So if you expect to be able to make or receive calls the Soft Console will not as the sole phone equipment it needs a phone along with it.
Mike

Hosted can be troublesome.
Softphones are always double troublesome.
Add the two and you end up with a unhappy customer, a bad reputation for you and probably a loss of money for both.

Said that use decent (96xx) phones and One-X Portal.

The One-X is a add-on so if the network fails the phones keep on working without a problem.

Thanks for the info! I thought soft console was a phone! Makes sense now (console)! I can't find any docs or video that explains what info the user sees on the communicator app when someone calls in, anyone happen to know?

Intrigant, I agree, I told them a phone with a wireless headset is best for call center agents but they are insisting on a softphone.

We have had them too, now they all use hardphones.
A softphone is for roadwarriors who can live with lesser quality but certainly not for office workers and pertinent not for call center agents.
You better talk them out of it for your and theirs sake.

You're right Intrigant, I'll try talk them out of it.

Just to clarify, SoftConsole is intendeded for operators/ receptionists (and priced accordingly:

SoftConsole

As above softphones aren't the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back