Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

socket programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1983

Programmer
Sep 9, 2003
GB
I am currently writing a client/server application using sockets to transfer files. I would like a series of messages to be sent before transfering the file. However when i do this, the messages are written to the socket output stream (when you invoke ClientSocket.getOutputStream()); ) and are written to the file to be transferred. Is there any way to "clear" the Socket stream? i tried assigning "null" but it seems to fall over.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Regards

newbie1983

I suspect you're writing to the file because your Socket OutputStream is linked to your FileInputStream.
Post your code and let us take a look at it

You should also remember that sockets don't know anything about messages -- they just send bytes. And... If you send 1000 bytes, it's possible for it to arrive in two separate packets of 500 bytes each.

Chip H.

The Socket stream is "cleared" when the server sends data AND the client fully reads that data.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Thanks for your replies! I kind of figured it out just needed to create the streams again after use

Regards

HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back