Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

socket programming 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhgcee

Programmer
Nov 26, 2005
TW
Hello,

I would like to learn how to do socket programming in C++. I have looked around the net and looked for books, but I have found very little information. I want to write an application that includes passing lots of information between client and server.

Thanks,
Stuart Matthews

I should add that I am pretty much just looking for a link to a book or an online tutorial. I just need somewhere to start. Thanks.

Hi Salem. Thanks for the link. But this looks like a tutorial geared towards C programming: "This document should give the average competent C programmer the edge s/he needs to get a grip on this networking noise."

Are all of these functions/methodologies relevant for C++ as well?

Thanks,
Stuart

Yes, the ideas are independent of the programming language.

There's nothing to stop you using the 'C' API from a C++ environment.

Or if you wanted to, I'm sure there are a few libraries out there which wrap things up into foo::connect, foo::recv for those who want 'pure' C++. I don't personally know of any.

One of the core skills for a C++ programmer is to be able to take 'C' API's and wrap them up in nice C++ classes.

--

There is also the ADAPTIVE Communication Environment (ACE). It provides nice abstractions for your C++ needs.

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by
killing all those who opposed them.

- janvier -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back