Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

social networking site based on asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamakre

Programmer
Sep 29, 2007
US
Im going to be building / starting a site similar to myspace where a group will be able to join (become a member) then can have 'friends' added to their page / profile, upload photos, enter text etc. etc.

I was thinking through and plotting out the database (fields, etc. -- starting in MS access for modeling and testing of the core then have plans to migrate it all to MySQL) and dealing with issues like how does the database (fields, etc.) look for the facet where a member has 'friends' ... I mean what does the framework for that look like and how does it work??!!

Then it dawned on me to see if there are any open source or pay-based web apps that I can download to jumpstart this whole project (obviously the ability to customize, modify the source code would be important).

Anyone familiar with any of these done in ASP. I see a few that look promising that are php based but Im hoping to start this phase 1 effort in classic asp while I get up to speed with both php and some .net.

Thanks!

my advice is to choose wheather you are going asp or php.

If you start out using classic asp you will lose alot of functionality from .net 2.0 and will have to some day rewrite it all anyways. Better to learn as you go instead of writing in one form then moving on (chances are you will never move on)

This will depending on your needs require a lot of database design. You might want to start with building your data layer before moving on to anything else. Remember the less planning you do now the more work/rewriting you will do later.

Thanks, yeah, I basically am following your suggestions... about an hour after submitting this question to Tek-Tips, I just found a MySql database for a sourceforge project that sounds similar - and modeled a lot of my database around that core... the datastructure is about 3 times as large given all the new tables, etc., but look at that database 'map' gave me answers to questions about how to do things like store 'friend' relationships, etc. (a lot easier than I orignally thought)

Right now Im trying to justify doing it in classic ASP (which is proving really hard to justify!!!) ... and am staying away from any of that sort of coding until I have my UI mapped out and structured for the various facets of the site and more importantly and more fun, Im finding, the database infrastructure that will fuel it all. Its about 90% done and I hope to have some code (asp or PHP) put together over the weekend so the basic functions and modules are all in place and working.

Thanks again for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back