Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

so what do you think of win 7 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

max8699

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
AU
The beta's been out for a little while now so what do you think of it so far?

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Not bad. Granted the usage has been somewhat mild. Nothing to demanding, and I really haven't attempted to install many things.

But so far its been fine.

I did however install WAMP server since I tend to do web development in my off time. And so far not a problem.

Heck its been pleasant.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I have installed all of my older equipment, printer, scanner & wireless input devices with no problems, seems as though drivers are not the problem they were with Vista initial releases.

Seems very stable so far & quite fast

xit

>as though drivers are not the problem they were with Vista initial releases

Well, they wouldn't be ...

It's Vista SP2...

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

I have no problems with Windows 7, for a Beta product it is amazingly stable and enjoyable to use.

I do have one issue, but that's more to do with the application than the Os itself.

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X, and its apparently not compatible with the Aero theme. So Windows turns it off when I run it.

It is annoying, but i commend Microsoft for actually making windows do this instead of just not running the app all together.

Also, I'm starting to get annoyed at the "Let this application run" prompt that just pauses everything until you acknowledge it when I try to run an exe that was not installed so to speak.

But other than that the OS has been fine so far.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

It does seem to run smoother than vista. have both running as vm's both with 1gig ram and the vista vm jerks about whereas the win 7 vm runs smoothly.
Have had one issue with Java, but not sure if that was a win 7 issue, ie 8 issue or an issue with the app that was using java

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Seems to be OK for me, I'm running it on an IBM R51 laptop 1.5GHz & 512MB.

It is odd to me that it's really Windows v6.1 but M$ calls it Win7...

My only issue with it is when I add a bluetooth device to it, I have a hard time viewing the device in the Device and printers screen.

Other than that the only driver I had to download was my nvidia driver.

Other issues only concern applications but the OS is a lot smoother and does not crash

In general, compared to Vista, much faster and easier install, slimmer program, botts and runs faster on my computer.

I installed it in a dual boot mode with XP on a six year old Dell 1.8 mhz with 1.5 GB of ram. It has run smoothly with no problems except for my sound card issue (different post). The printer didn't work at first and after much searching I remembered the old uninstall reboot/install tip and it worked fine. It wasn't a driver issue at all, just a glitch during the OS install.

Interestingly, I have a multitrack audio recording program for my audio work (Audition 3.0) that will not run properly in Vista, but runs fine in Windows 7!

Removing the Beta
The Windows 7 Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. We recommend doing a custom (clean) installation."

So, does this mean that you can "downgrade" back to XP if you choose not to go forward with the final release?

As long as you have the install media and a legal license and installation key, then you can install XP any time you want. No need to wait for the beta to expire.

Alternatively, you can also upgrade to a free operating system.

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Yes, you can downgrade to Linux any time you like. Ahem.

But back on topic, I have been surprised by just how much I don't dislike Windows 7. There was always something about Vista that irritated me and it can't have just been the UAC dialogs. Windows 7 just feels less 'arrogant' somehow; maybe it's because the things they've added - the things that are most obvious in day-to-day use - are such good additions. Things like the window sizing/docking, the new way the task bar works, the new way the sidebar works and so on. They may not be innovations but they make the OS more pleasant to use.

The only problem is that I won't be able to upgrade the beta to the full release, so I can't use it as my main OS because I'll have to wipe it in six months. That means I only use it infrequently and spend most of my time in XP.

Despite having had a dual-boot Vista/XP machine since Vista's launch I've never warmed to Vista. If I had a dual-boot 7/XP machine which I didn't have to wipe I could see myself moving over to 7.

Nelviticus

Despite having had a dual-boot Vista/XP machine since Vista's launch I've never warmed to Vista. If I had a dual-boot 7/XP machine which I didn't have to wipe I could see myself moving over to 7.

Totally agree.

I don't suppose there's any chance Microsoft would like to give us a deep discount when we purchase the final release of
Windows 7, just because we are beta testing it?

I guess I can always revert back to XP. Though its going to be really sad to go back.

There are so many little things I like about 7.

Vista was just plain irritating.

I've installed Windows 7 x64 as the only OS on my desktop at home; the system has a Core 2 Duo E6420, 8 GB of RAM, and a 8600GT video card. Runs very smooth and stable.

What I like:
[ul]
[li]Even glossier than Vista, lots of eye candy.[/li]
[li]Wallpaper slide shows. (Finally! Macs have had this since OSX was released.) Vista Ultimate allowed you to set videos as wallpaper, but it sapped performance and I usually disabled it. I'm happy see that Microsoft improved over OSX's implementation; you actually get to choose which pictures you want to be part of the slide show. In OSX, on the other hand, you pick a folder and all pictures will be used.[/li]
[li]I thought I would hate the new Taskbar and lack of dedicated Quicklaunch, but it wasn't as bad as I thought and has actually grown on me. It's actually quite easy to work with and not at all hard to see if multiple windows are open.[/li]
[li]Driver installation is a breeze. When I installed Windows 7 only three drivers weren't installed, everything else was recognized.[/li]
[ul square]
[li]Onboard LAN - I used the Vista x64 driver off the motherboard CD[/li]
[li]ATK or something - Windows 7 installed automatically after I connected to the Internet[/li]
[li]TV Tuner - not a big deal, I will download the driver from ATI later[/li]
[/ul]
[li]I just love the new printer installation wizard. It scanned my network devices and found that I have a network printer, which it then configured and installed. There was also an annoyance, see below.[/li]
[/ul]

What annoyed me:
[ul]
[li]When the printer wizard configured my network printer, it did not work correctly. It would print about 80% of the page and then the ink would fade as if the printer was running out of ink; then I would get a notification that there was a print error. I deleted the printer and manually installed it using the Vista driver from the manufacturer's website and it works great. This is a great feature (especially for newbies and non-power users) that needs a little work.[/li]
[li]Windows Media Player does not remember the last screen size when playing videos. I prefer to have Media Player take up the full screen when playing videos, but not maximized; unfortunately Media Player does not remember what the last size was. It does not even remember if it was maximized. Whenever I open a video, it defaults to either 100% or 200% size (this it does remember) and I have to move and resize the window every time. Extremely annoying.[/li]
[li]I have not been able to find a way to have Media Player always display the progress bar and time; they should add an option for this.[/li]
[li]I was actually one of the 3% who always used the Media Player Toolbar in the Taskbar. I hate that they removed it as I not only used it to play/pause/skip media, but with it I was able to surf, code, type while watching a video.[/li]
[/ul]

I have only been using Windows 7 for about a week, so these are just some of the things that caught my eye. I expect the list to grow, especially the "What I love" section.

Vanka, that's exactly the kind of feedback that Microsoft are after. They don't read here so you should submit it to them.

I'm not sure if the public version of Windows 7 is the same (I have the MSDN version) but on mine there are 'submit feedback' links in most of the windows.

Nelviticus

Nelviticus,

I realize that this is what Microsoft wants (hence the public beta) and I do submit feedback to them. This thread's title is "so what do you think of win 7" so I thought I'd post my experience with it. As I said (implied) in my previous post, the experience has been mostly positive and Windows 7 works great as the main OS on my home desktop.

Overall I would say that I am pleased with Windows 7, though there are some things I don’t like.

So far I have installed both 32 and 64 bit versions. Both installations were performed as upgrades and in each case I found the upgrade to be one of the easiest that MS has offered for some time. The only truly annoying part of the installation is that you must first remove Windows PowerShell as it prevents the installation from proceeding. I can’t figure out why this prevents the install unless version 2 is somehow included.

I had high hopes that the upgrade would eliminate problems with both installations. My laptop has had a delay after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete ever since installing .Net Framework 3.5 (caused an issue with an HP laptop security utility). The problem remained after removing both the Framework and the HP utility and the Windows 7 installation did not resolve the issue.

My x64 home desktop has been plagued with lockups and I was hoping that the installation of Windows 7 would rectify whatever might be wrong there. Windows update reported several updates were ready for install. I allowed the updates to install and promptly received a BSOD. After a reboot and selecting only one update at a time, all installed without error. Shortly after I experienced even more frequent lockups. Then magically after some Windows Updates things got GREAT!

Regarding changes from Vista: First, the windows Sidebar, isn’t on the side. Gadgets are all free floating now, I would prefer that they start where I had them prior to the upgrade, but maybe this was intentional so people would know they are not restricted to just the side. It is also important to note that the gadgets I had running prior to the upgrade were not restarted. I would expect the upgrade should preserve the running configuration provided there isn’t a problem with the gadgets. Now that the gadgets are free floating, it is important to be able to get access to them. I love the fact that you can move your mouse to the bottom right corner of the screen and all open windows become transparent. Second, the quick launch bar and the list of running programs have been combined, I hate this. The combined list is pre-populated with just a few icons. As an upgrade, I would have expected Microsoft to preserve all of my Quick Launch icons and add them to this new menu. That does not happen and is in my opinion a flaw with the upgrade. The stacked look of the icons makes it very difficult to tell what is running and what is not. On the plus side, I really like the fact that hovering the mouse over the icons produces a preview mode that works really well and makes it easy to select a desired program instance.

The Explorer icon in the task list defaults to “libraries”. I don’t want that and it won’t save changes. I would like to see it auto navigate to My Computer or to the last visited folder (let me choose which). I figured out to set it to default to My Computer you can do the following
[ul][li]Right click the icon for Windows Explorer on the task bar.[/li]
[li]Right click Windows Explorer[/li]
[li]Left click Properties[/li]
[li]Set the target to be:[/li]
Code:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
[/ul]

The classic Quick Launch toolbar is gone and attempts to create it by pointing to the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch did not yield desired results. I primarily wanted to add it back to get the Show Desktop icon. You can’t copy that icon to the new toolbar. Why not? Since learnign I can use Win Key + D I don't miss that show desktop icon so much anymore.

IE version 8: There are some nice features in IE 8. Mousing over the URL while at a sub page will make the base URL bold and clickable similar to the way you can click on a directory in Windows Explorer in Vista. The new icon next to refresh for compatibility mode is a smart idea. I also like that search also includes results from your local history and suggestions from your favorite search provider. The new and improved Zoom allows for automatic scaling of a page's content while maintaining the site's intended layout is also great. The Find on Page search feature is now built right into the browser and each instance of the search item is highlighted on the page. I like this feature a lot, the only problem is that unlike the Google offering different words are not color coded and the search only works with phrases and not all words individually. From the find toolbar (Ctrl+F) there is a button for the search engine. I don’t recall seeing this before so I think it is new to IE8 and I like that option. Another new feature with IE 8 that I really like is the new behavior that happens when you have multiple tabs open and click the red X to close IE. You are now prompted to close the current tab or to close all tabs.

I personally don’t use RSS feeds, but subscribing to a section of a web page sounds great.

I feel Microsoft has missed the mark when it comes to the x64 in general.

IE in the x64 version initially had convinced me to permanently switch to FireFox or Google Chrome on that installation and I prefer to use IE. Microsoft has made the x64 version disable all IE add ins, LET ME CHOOSE WHAT I WANT TO SCALEBACK. A banner message similar to an ActiveX notification pops up letting you know that you can run the Add-Ins Manager to make changes, but the banner comes back no matter what you do. You can’t disable the notification, nor can you seem to reduce the security setting to prevent the message. This initial experience was changed after some Windows Updates applied and now I can use IE as expected on the x64 system.

I’ve encountered one anomaly of IE with the x64 version that may or may not exist in the x86 version that I have yet to observe in the latter installation. On my x64 install IE goes into full screen mode seemingly on its own (the F11 keys isn’t exactly a key you hit by accident). Moving the mouse to the top of the screen when IE is in Full Screen mode will make the IE menus appear, but moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen does not show the start bar. To me this is just half of the needed functionality.

The snipping tool has been enhanced. I love that you can save directly from it and can now capture in different modes. But Microsoft missed an opportunity to make the editing tools better. I would have liked to have seen the pen tool enhanced with an oval/rectangle tool as well as a text tool. It is still necessary to use MSPaint to annotate snips neatly to be included in documentation.

RDP: I’ve observed that the remote desktop connection has a very long delay when connecting to servers. The delay occurs when checking credential tiles. While I find it is nice to have my username cached for me, I would prefer quicker access to the server.

The Windows 7 installation reset the “Do Not Load” icons in the control panel. Not a big deal, I just went to the registry to unhide the icons again like was the case with Vista. Only problem is that the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\don't load is improperly set to have Trusted Installer as the Owner. It is necessary to take ownership of the key before you can set rights to allow yourself (even though you are admin) to delete the icons from the list.

I had a similar issue with my keyboard mapping. The upgrade locked me out of the registry keys and I had to take ownership so my custom keyboard mapping could be put back. That key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout.

I love the fact that UAC now has 4 levels. Instead of disabling it I have it running at a lower level now. That is great.

IIS uses the same TERRIBLE interface as Server 2008. I want to provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, so I won’t comment much further on how strongly I feel about the way IIS has been changed. It is BAD. Everything takes 5 extra clicks, there is no flow to the management anymore. It has been setup to look like an ISP control panel running on a Linux box and I have yet to speak to a peer that has liked this new interface or thought that it offered any improvement over the previous interface.

I would like to see the Telnet Client be installed by default.

Well, that is all I have discovered so far. I hope you all have found this information of use. Please let me know if you want additional information as I discover it.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back