Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

So many restrictions on these computers won't let you do ANYTHING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
EVerytime I go to change a setting, like run msconfig, enable startup menu, or try to boot from the dos prompt...the computer won't start again. I'm wondering if this is a security measure from the smart folks at microsoft? Maybe if there is a "breach of security", the computer locks up and won't let anyone else use it untill a system administrator unlocks it. It just seems very strange why whenever anybody does a strange thing or purposely tries to corrupt the computer, it won't let windows boot the next time it is trated. Is there such a thing as this?

I went to start>run> msconfig and attempted to check the box "enable startup menu". After I did this, the computer started WITHOUT the starup menu, and then all these error messages are showing up at the desktop. Windows won't fully load, I can't get the startup menu at all! All I get is the backround with no taskbar.

I'm getting everything from Virus scan errors to Rundll errors to registry compontent errors. Now, I know you people aren't allowed to tell me....but are these REALLY true errors, or is it just a way to prevent anyone from tampering with the computer if the computer suspects a "savvy user" is operating it?

I think you hit it cyoung. This looks like a corporate computer. Afrofoiler, don't mess with the company's machines ;-) This isn't a Microsoft thing, it's your company's Computer Administrator's thing.
PEACE Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Or, if you still want to mess w/ it, got and search for poledit or Policy Editor. It will allow you to re-enable everything the Admin has disabled, and you can keep the pc from loading some network scripts. (I hate the Admins at DeVry). Even still, they may have some other Pro-active counter-measures against you fooling with the machine. Those you may not be able to disable...

Have fun
KyferEz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back