Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

So many instances of ADP! How to check/upate/track them

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwight1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2005
US
Hi All,

A general suggestion. When we make an ADP we create different instances for different users. If we just create a shortcut than only one person can use that instance and for others it comes as read only.

Now when we create different instances on differnt computers for different users, if we make a small change to button/forms/reports then we have to go to each computer for fixing the change.

Is this a common problem or you guys have a different approach. Please advise.

Thanks

Dwight

I have encountered this kind of problem so I got around it by including version numbering within the application and DB.

Every time an application change is made to the ADP, I add details about this change to my VersionTracking table. When the ADP is opened, a startup form (which runs anyway) checks the version in this table, against the version in the application title (from Tools, Startup). If they match the application runs. Otherwise, it gives the user a message telling them to update and they are submit any queries or make any changes.

This approach has been working well for several years now...

James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA

Jgoodman00,

Got your point, but has some problem
1. how to check the version of a table against a version in the application title (from tools, startup).

I understand that you want me to create a table and give them some unique number and state the same number in the application title (startup) so when the application is opend it will match with it.

But i did not understand how to make a query from a version tracking table to match with application title. Do we write a code? not really sure.

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks
Dwight

Ok:

In implementing this here we have the following:

A version table containing a VersionNo column, a VersionComments column and a VersionDate column.

When the startup form executes, it reads the first record from the Version table, based on a descending sort of the VersionDate column:
e.g.
Code:
SELECT VersionNo FROM tblVersions ORDER BY VersionDate DESC

You can get to your application title property using:
Code:
Application.CurrentProject.Properties.Item("AppTitle")

You can then compare your VersionNo from tblVersion to your AppTitle...

Jgoodman00,

"When the startup form executes, it reads the first record from the Version table",

Can you please explain how startup form executes the query

Secondly,

"Application.CurrentProject.Properties.Item("AppTitle")"

How do i get to my application title property.

Thanks

Dwight

jgoodman00,

Thank you very much for the link. I could successfully use the version check code. Well, I am not a programmer but i had simply copied your code into my adp project and it all works fine.

I checked your password protection link also, just curious why would any one want to protect a form as against a database. I know that we can set a password for the mdb db and for adp we can create different instances for different users. Again just inquisitive.

Thanks for your help.

Dwight

Hi,

If you have a split backend db/frontend app setup (mdb not adp), then it is normally desireable to keep regular users from accessing the backend db directly. However, you might not want to force users to use a password to access the data through the front-end, or you might want to give different users different permissions.

Some of this can be done using Access security, but I have never been a fan of it!

jgoodman00,

Thanks. The question i am going to ask you is entirely different. But am stuck with it for a long time. I know its easy but not getting the right frame of mind.

I have a combo (adp). I want to filter a function based on my selection in the combo. How do i pass the parameter @borrowerid behind the command button?

Thanks again

Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back