Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

So, does this turn anyone else off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
I've been looking on and off for a T-Shirt designer to include on our web site. Something like you see here:
Many of the sites I have found don't want to sell you the software; they want to host the site with the designer. Some are offering to do it all, including the printing (which would of course be in competition... we're a print shop).

So, to the point.

Does anyone else just say "Forget it" if the web site is full of grammatical errors, where they are obviously marketing to an english-speaking audience, but it's broken english at best?

For example (from a page where I found a product, but then went on to read about features:

Professional and customizable store design
It is very important for us to give our stores a corporate looks. This helps them in developing the trust worthiness in their customers. They also get a competitive edge over their competitors. You can choose the template, and unique box design that suits your needs better. This is not all… we have another great news for you.

While using the application, if you come across any problem, then you can download our website planner document. Here you can put in your queries, and we will take of the rest. (Note: For these services you might need to shell out some extra bucks)

So... impression not made. I stopped bothering to look at whether or not their product would fit my needs; I was so turned off by their horrid sales pitch it didn't matter any longer.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

And then there are people with college degree that cannot find any jobs in their field to save their lives. Some of them are from the Occupy group. I’ve seen several TV programs and listened to some radio programs about some of those people, and – surprise – their college degree was in gender studies, classical studies, art history, and my favorite: puppetry. It just screams: do you want to have fries with that?

Have fun.

---- Andy

People with those types of "majors" and "degrees" should not be surprised when they cant find a job outside of the manager for a McJob.

Back on track, Ive personally searched for random parts for laptops, servers, mills and lathes and when I find a site that doesn't take time to translate properly, I continue to look elsewhere.

"I know it is possible for someone to be utterly terrible at their first languge, yet still be very competent at running their business, but to be honest, I'd tend to assume it is unlikely,"
I missed that above quote by N1GHTEYES but think that it rings true. If you are not willing to take time to do the small things, how can I rely on you for the big things?

"You don't know what you got, till it's gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Did I really say "languge" when I was condemning people for sloppy English? Oh dear.

So that's what a petard feels like...

Tony

I wish they would do a study on purposely misspelled words in a sentence and see how many our brain auto-corrects.

(I didn't see it either :( )

"You don't know what you got, till it's gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

It's also more than just a degree. I've seen 1000 people come and go over the years at my currnt place of employemnt, over two decades, and it doesn't make any difference where you got your degree. Either you are a good worker and employeee, or your not. The ones getting term'd make every excuse for themself's and blame everybody for their short comings. All work is good and noble, it doesn't matter what it is. But some people let their ego or whatever get in the way of doing the JOB.

Jim C.

Jim C. said:
I point to our government allowing this to happen. Not being proactive to ensure that all of the US citizens can find work.
Oh, yes, Jim, pleeeeeease...that's just what we all need...a government that is "proactive (enough) to ensure that all of the U.S. citizens can find work"! And while we're at it, the government should ensure that everyone has a working car, doesn't eat too much sugar or have more than 1 child, has a nice house, all the clothes that they need, a wide-screen TV, on-demand healthcare, and toilet paper that isn't scratchy when we use it. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Dave,

When I was I little lad a man could earn enough to buy a house feed his family and have enough left over to save a little. Now you need at least two good incomes and that isn't always enough. That's what I'm talking about. I don't expect the feds to give me anything, but I do hope they stay out of my pocket long enough so that I can take care of my family. I think you missed the point of my rant, or I didn't make my point clear enough. I think that it is the governments job to stay out of the way and allow us to make a living and not keep reaching into our pockets every time they get a big idea on how to make our lives better. Everybody who wants a job should be able to find one, ( assuming they really wanty to WORK ). The last 20 years or fed gov has had their head in the sand and allowed jobs to move away.

Jim C.

I wish they would do a study on purposely misspelled words in a sentence and see how many our brain auto-corrects.
I think there was something similarly done:

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Jim said:
Everybody who wants a job should be able to find one, ( assuming they really wanty to WORK ). The last 20 years or fed gov has had their head in the sand and allowed jobs to move away.
First, if the government guarantees a job to everyone, then please refer to the failed experiment that we called the Soviet Union. If the government wants to prevent jobs in the U.S. from disappearing to the Philippines, China, India, et cetera, the U.S. cannot stand at the border and prohibit jobs growing legs. The government also cannot impose their will by taxing companies for every job lost to a foreign country.

Instead, the best (and only) way for the U.S. government to bring jobs back to the U.S. is to make it more profitable for companies to have workers in the U.S. than it is to have them off shore. The way to make that happen is to reduce the cost of having employees here. The way to reduce such costs is to reduce the taxes that they impose on employers (or even make financial incentives) for having employees here.

I've heard the argument, "Corporations should pay their fair share in taxes." Well guess who pays corporate taxes! Corporations don't pay corporate taxes...Consumers pay corporate taxes in the form of corporations folding in the cost of their taxes (as they do with their other corporate expenses) into the cost of the goods and services that they sell.

So, in reality, when the government reduces the costs (read "taxes") that they impose on corporations, then the result is:[ul][li]Reducing the costs of goods and services[/li][li]Increasing the demand for U.S. goods and services (since the cost of such has gone down, thus making the goods and services more competative with foreign goods and services)[/li][li]Making the creation (and continuation) of U.S. businesses more likely (read "profitable")[/li][li]Improving the profitability of employing U.S. workers[/li][/ul]

So, the worst possible influence that the U.S. government can have in keeping U.S. jobs in the U.S. is to threaten to raise taxes (employment or otherwise) on U.S. corporations.

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

And, BTW, this off-topic tangent that Jim and I have collectively taken this thread onto, would be more appropriate (if anyone wants to pursue the tangent topic) in the Squaring The Circle forum.

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back