Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snychronizing Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScudDE

Technical User
Aug 30, 2004
AU
Hi there;
how are you?

Couldn't find the appropriate forum to list this one in, but i was wondering whether it would be possible for two folders to syncronise with one another when possible so if a file is added to one folder it gets added to the other, if the file gets deleted from the other folder it would also get deleted in the other...
Can anyone help me here?

Thanks,
Scud

Scud
Globaly Local Admin
Please join Globaly Local for FREE

Are you talking about 2 local folders or a local and a network share?

ScudDE,

This sounds like more of an OS question than a Hardware question. What OS are you running?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

im using windows xp and it would be over a network as one folder is on desktop and one is on laptop

Scud

ScudDE,

You might be better off asking in forum779, the Windows XP forum.

I know that this can be done if one of the machines is running Windows Server 2000/2003, but I'm not sure with both machines running Windows XP.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

As long as one of the machines is XP it will work as per the link given above (dunno if 2000 and previous offers it).

You can also schedule sync's from the Sychronize application from the Accessories menu.

Hello, Im using synchback program for free... it synchs the files at any given time... so you can do it every 10 minutes if you want...

it is not real time but works great.

I'm not sure, but doesnt Microsoft Briefcase do something like this, correct me if im mistaken

yeah, i have actually found a program, syncback i found it when i posted the same topic in the windows xp forum. Although i did try the offline files although you need to turn off fast user switching and i sort of like that and briefcase i think can only work with removable drives...

Scud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back