Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNOOPERS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spde

MIS
Jul 19, 2001
US
Gosh, I hate to appear so stupid, but I still don't get it. Someone went onto my computer, went into my C drive and accessed portions of old emails. I'm just wondering how they did that.
THANKS!

Assuming they didn't actually sit at the computer, it leaves one option. Whenever you are online, people can either deliberately, or by chance find your ip address given to you by your ISP when you log on. This is unique to you whilst online and the connection is two-way. They can then download to your computer a program to let them access your harddisk. This enables them to read your emails, or whatever else the trojan program is programmed to do. If you are on a local network, the same thing can happen, it's just a little easier.

You can stop it with a firewall program and up to date anti virus software.

Known exploits have made it possible to enter arbitrary code through an html page. This leave a known fault with IE susceptable to access trough the execution of this code. Thus the hacker can gain entry via gateway to your system and leave "backdoor server and client" programs to gain entry at will. If you haven't downloaded the latest updates from Microsoft please do. If you have you might think of encrypting e-mail messages through some free or otherwise bought software, and installing a personal firewall on your system. Firewalls such as BlackIce Defender or Net Alarm are fairly cheap and well balanced for the home or business system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back