Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNOOPERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

spde

MIS
Jul 19, 2001
US
I would like to find out if anyone has been accessing my windows programs/files. I am on Windows98, but use no password to log on or off. I have reason to believe that a family member has been snooping, looking for god knows what, b/c there is nothing there to find, but would like to know if someone has tried to access the computer.
I don't think he can get into aol or msn, b/c of passwords, and he doesn't know those passwords.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Get yourself a keylogger or sniffer and make it a hidden file, so only you know wher/what it is. This will record what goes on.
Also check out your MRU list (most recently used list), it will show the last 6-7 items/applications used.
Your internet behaviour is recorded in windows as temp internet files and cookies. Be sure to delete these if you want privacy.
If your spy knows a bit about dos, they will also be able to read this info by using edit.exe and viewing user.dat
good luck
Peace
Addy

Followup question: Where do I find the MRU, most recently used list?
And, can someone access emails and Instant Messages, completely or even broken messages, and how do they do that?
thanks again!

click the start button...click run... type regedit
now click edit....find...and type mru list
go to and dowload Tfak its a trojan scaner...scan your system and use the tools on Tfak to edit your reg,startup,winini etc.
Peace
Addy

You presented a two part question, on the second half can anyone read your email messages. That is to say without know your internet password ect. Yes, if they have some aquired knowledge about computers or computer programs. Your have messages in your inbox or saved areas, that may be able to be viewed via text or hex editor. If your email is set up with the the password saved and the dial-up box activates when you use your web explorer or navigator they of course can logon and read your email as you do. Keyloggers help to display what they had typed on the keyboard but they don't tell you were the mouse clicked to or exactly were when they entered something from the keyboard. Your best bet is to either lock you screen saver on exiting the room, or to use a BIOS level password protection for your system...even so they aren't 100% fail proof.

Apparently, this snooper went into Windows Explorer, then to AOL/ORGANIZE and read portions of scrambled emails. I have installed a firewall suggested through this site. However, if I use a password to open windows, will those areas still be accessible?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated so that this does not happen in the future. I hate to have to put a lock and key on laptop!!!!

If you want to block a local intruder, I would advise you to get an encryption program like bestcrypt. What bestcrypt does is create a virutal drive on your computer. The drive appears as a large file on your harddrive until you activate it. Once activated and the password is clear, it can be used seamlessly, just like a normal hard drive. It is convient for storing personal files.
I would suggest that you try to establish a comprehensive security plan for your computer. Establish a power on password in your BIOS. Establish a firewall. Establish an encrypted disc for storage of personal files. Update your virus protection often. Look around your computer for other snoopers or unexplainable files. If someone has placed a keyboard sniffer on your computer, all of your precautions are for nothing. One they have your passwords your are sunk. If you do find a snooper, kill it for good and change all your passwords. Good luck, there is more information on detecting keepboard sniffers and other snoopers at this site.

MORE SNOOPER QUESTIONS:
Do emails and instant messages get imbedded onto the hard drive, and if so, how can you find them? Also, I am going through a divorce and my spouse informed me that he had "server numbers". What does that mean exactly, how does one get them, and what do they show?
Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back