Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNMPD errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcazian

MIS
Dec 4, 2002
US
I am receiving these errors in my daemon syslog:

Feb 25 09:20:18 server_name snmpd[17802]: NOTICE: SMUX relation started with (172.16.5.6+40586+8588)
Feb 25 09:20:18 pine snmpd[17802]: NOTICE: SMUX packet from (172.16.5.6+40586+8588)
Feb 25 09:20:18 pine snmpd[17802]: EXCEPTIONS: simpleOpen rejected (invalid host/network address): 0.0 (SMUX 172.16.5.6+40586+8588)

I'm a bit confused to what is going on. Anyone have any clues?

I just disabled snmpd, we are not using it:

# stopsrc -s snmpd

If you're not using it, might as well disable it to avoid the error logging.

SMUX stand for "snmpd multiplexed" which is a way to have
multiple agents. snmpd is the primary and he needs an entry in snmpd.conf which tells him who his peers are and what MIB variable is the start of their tree. Each peer needs a matching entry in the snmpd.peers file. When the peer comes up he uses what is in the snmpd.peers file to open a session with snmpd. snmpd in turn verifies the connection with the entry in his snmpd.conf file. If what the peer uses trying to connect with doesn't match what is in the snmpd.conf file, the session request is rejected with a badIdentity error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back