Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

snmp using Allegro-Software-RomPager. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesfg02

Technical User
Jan 16, 2006
US
The unit I am trying to monitor is the Netopia Model 3346N DSL Ethernet Switch, software version 7.4.0r6, and I believe the it is using Allegro-Software-RomPager/4.03.

What I am trying to do is user “PRTG traffic grapher” to monitor the bandwidth going in and out of this router. I have it configured to connect to the gateway’s wan ip which is 71.150.76.38 (since nat is off) , I can configure PRTG to either use snmp v1,v2 or v3 (I was trying v1 but have tried all of the mentioned versions). I can configure it to connect to any port (I was trying 161 along with some others surrounding), I can configure it to connect to any community string (I was trying public which I had set in the router). I understand that snmp requires the use of UDP port 1023 as well as 161 and that is wide open on my computers firewall, as I have opened the firewall on everything. The program just doesn’t seem to even connect to the Netopia.

James,

Have you verified your snmp connectivity with another tool such as net-snmp ? Its worth installing a copy of it and then trying some simple SNMP queries from a command line.

You can get it at (go to the url : and download the xxx.win32.exe file).

From the command line, you should be able to run a query such as :

snmpget -v 1 -c public 127.0.0.1 sysUpTime.0

This is using the 'public community' string. You obviously have to alter the IP address to be the agent of your device. It should show you the uptime of the snmp agent in 100ths of a second.

I think you should only have to open port 161 on your firewall (from your snmp management server to the device).

HTH

Nigel Bowden

Nigel,

Good idea, thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back