Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

snmp problem with 6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

eksantrik

Technical User
Dec 13, 2005
US
I have been trying to configure my cisco 6500 and some 2950s to send snmp traps to a certain IP address.
I enabled all the traps in the system but the only time I capture an SNMP packet with wireshark is the time I enter "show run" in 6500.

I made config. changes on the switch but non of them makes the switch iniate a trap to the dest.

Can someone please send me the series of commands that needs to be entered for this to work in theory.

Thanks

Post all the logging commands. For it to send everything to the syslog server, you need logging trap debugging---that's the lowest one, which sends EVERYTHING.

Burt

I would post your snmp server configuration options here to see if you missed anything.

snmp-server community AAAAA RW 97
snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication warmstart linkdown linkup coldstart
snmp-server enable traps config
snmp-server enable traps copy-config
snmp-server enable traps syslog
snmp-server enable traps entity
snmp-server enable traps flash insertion removal
snmp-server enable traps bridge
snmp-server enable traps stpx
snmp-server enable traps rtr
snmp-server enable traps c2900
snmp-server enable traps vtp
snmp-server enable traps vlancreate
snmp-server enable traps vlandelete
snmp-server enable traps port-security
snmp-server enable traps MAC-Notification
snmp-server enable traps envmon fan shutdown supply temperature status
snmp-server enable traps hsrp
snmp-server enable traps cluster
snmp-server enable traps vlan-membership
snmp-server host 10.96.7.50 BBBBB snmp

And my access-list config:

Standard IP access list 97
permit 10.96.7.50
deny any log

This unit needs to send every event to the SNMP trap receiver unit (10.96.7.50).

Another thing we are trying to figure out is that when something changes on the 6500, it sometimes sends a trap to our server. We check the OID values and see that a config. change has happened but tha trap doesnt say what IP address and what credential did it. Log messages do that but not the SNMP traps. How do we do that?

Thanks for the help

I believe you need to specify a domain-name, logging server and logging trap debugging.
logging dmvpn
logging history warnings
logging trap debugging
logging source-interface Dialer0
logging server-arp
logging 10.68.68.3

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back