Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNMP on Linux. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxtricks

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2000
US
I have been trying to find out information about configuring snmp on Linux but am hitting dead ends. :(

We have an HPOpenview server that recieves traps from Windows machines and monitors the status of many things such as 'hard drive space, system reboot, cluters failing over, etc'... and we would like to have stuff like this monitored on our Linux machines as well.

It seems there are several different flavors of snmp daemons floating around the internet (ucd-snmp, etc). Even RedHat Linux comes with snmp daemons:
i.e.
chkconfig --list |grep snmp
snmpd 0:eek:ff 1:eek:ff 2:eek:ff 3:eek:n 4:eek:n 5:eek:n 6:eek:ff
snmptrapd 0:eek:ff 1:eek:ff 2:eek:ff 3:eek:n 4:eek:n 5:eek:n 6:eek:ff

but, I cannot find any man pages or help on how to configure snmp. Internet websites seem to point to stuff like "mrtg" and simliar - but, I just need to configure it in a way that it sends information to our HPOpenview server - like the Windows machines do.

Any ideas out there?
---
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

There is a package in RedHat that should suit your needs. It is called ucd-snmp. Try it.

well, what u need are MIBs, that define what elements of a system u want to monitor.. these MIBs usually include OIDs, and these OIDs tell your SNMP poller, such as HPOpenView or MRTG, what information to look for and represent, such as CPU temperature, hard drive space usage, etc..

otherwise, the default SNMP configuration will represent data on system network usage, focusing mainly on the ethernet interfaces, and how much data is passing through them... this is what will be represented by default...

good luck...

StarTAC:

At this point, I am still trying to figure out my initial steps. Do you know of any HOWTo's out there that can walk me through it. Do you have any tips of your own? Where do I find the MIBs I need? How do I configure them?

Thanks! ---
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back