Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNMP for windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgassner2

Technical User
Sep 19, 2003
US
Hi
Does anyone know of an easy to use/set up SNMP program out there for windows that is free? I have tried Cacti but that thing is way out of my league. So if you have any information please let me know.

Thanks

Go to and scroll down to download the MRTG Bundle 2.1.0
Read the Readme's and install on C:\
Then go to c:\mrtg\mrtg\lib\mrtg2\ and edit the file BER.PM
Somewhere at the end of the file you might find the line
return error("Sequence expected") unless $result == sequence tag | constructor flag;
Edit into
return error("Sequence expected") unless $result == sequence tag or constructor flag;
and save the file.
Now MRTG is ready to run.
Read the html's in c:\mrtg\mrtg\doc\

Hi guys
Sorry I didn't get to respond to your question Nigel, but I have been juggling two jobs; getting an SNMP server set up and setting up a PIX for a customer's site. I have heard of MRTG and I am trying that out with others. At this point all suggestions are welcome. What I am basically trying to do is monitor our switchs and servers so when something like a user loses connectivity we can be notified and tell what the problem is.

Neither will do that. What you want is an NMS, like OpenView, OpenNMS, Nagios, Big Brother, etc. If you want immediate notification, you can use an SNMP trap receiver built into the NMS, or use syslog and a log watcher.

You can monitor when an user loses connectivity, but remember that the user turning off or rebooting the computer will also cause a notification. I'd just monitor the servers and key interfaces of the network devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back