Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNMP for event logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
We currently have about 20 servers which we need to monitor every day (75% are at remote sites). That's 20 times we need to RDP to the servers, login and open up event viewer. It can be quiet a time consuming and boring task ... and there's always the risk that when you do it 20 times a day that you'll miss something in the event lgos !!

Is there any way to use SNMP to poll the event logs and then save the events to a db or something? I've setup SNMP on one server as a test which gives me things like CPU usage, disk space usage etc. But this doesn't quiet give us everything. Even if I had to write a script to put the snmp info into a db, that woudln't be a problem. But I'd just like to know if there's any way you can use snmp to get these events in the first place?

Any help would be appreciated.

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

mmm ... from what I can see you need a license to run MOM? I'm downloading the eval right now, but I'm not too sure if my manager will go for it as the license is $6000 US. Any ideas of any way of doing it using what's already there and maybe some clever scripting?

There are some tools out there that do not cost a small fortune, and they allow you to forward events to a SNMP-server. This is - i might be wrong, 'cus it's long time ago - a client being installed on the server to be monitored and this client will send to the SNMP-server.

Cheers
Knutern

Ideally I'd like a poller to run on the snmp server which would poll all the servers at regular intervals. But I'm beginning to see that that's not gong to be possible. But if you knew of something that could be run periodically on each server to send snmp events to the snmp server that would be useful. Can you think of any off hand Knutern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back