Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

snmp.exe: CPU high utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

arulthas

MIS
Jan 4, 2004
AP
The SNMP.exe service on my Windows 2000 server is consuming 50% of the server's CPU. If I stop and restart the service, its usage drops down to a normal level and then back to 50% immediately. Does anyone know why this occurs or how to fix it? My server is currently up to date with all critical server patches.

The SNMP Services do 2 things, The first service responds to SNMP get/set request from a NMS. Also, it will serve as an API bridge to any type of SNMP software on your machine using the API.

The SNMP Trap service will receive traps from SNMP like devices on your network.

I would look at the traffic on your computer, use a net-sniffer, if you see SNMP traffic, than that is probaly your issue.

leaf, where can i get this net-sniffer? I looked at net there is several version and unsure which one to get. FYI, the server is running on w2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back