Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snips/Scissors vs. Cutters/Dikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Hey guys,

I was doing an install the other day when a very mediocre ILEC tech came along, and thought it was the funniest thing in the world that I use electricicans scissors instead of regular cutters. I gave up dikes years ago, and definitly won't go back.

But I started wondering how many others do too, and if they like them??? They seem to have so many advantages....Check out the new Clauss ones.

-T-

I have been using the new D snips and I like the extra levrage

the claus look a little to extreme to be practical in a pouch

I do carry a pair of dikes but the only thing I can recall using them for is to trim my toenails ( they work great BTW )
[smile]

Hey Skip,

I use the Harris big handled D-Snips too; and I find they even hurt less after a few hundred snips than the standard dikes do...

-T-

Have both in my pouch. Snips ("scissors" is seamstress, "snips" is telecom/electric) for cutting cables and ringing insulation (and be sure to use the "pull cord", because you're [b/]going[/b] to nick a conductor somewhere. Dykes for cutting solid copper, like ground wire, and stripping individual conductors.

I love the D-snips for prewiring, and cutting bundles of cables, but find then ackward for ringing cables when terminating.

For cutting the ends of tyraps, ONLY use something that flush cuts, like this:

Hey TTTommy,

I'll give you the dikes for cutting solid wire, but I coulden't possible cram another f*%(*^ing tool on my belt without it pulling down my pants, even though the miniature flush endcutters look nice. I used a splicing knife for cutting ties flush for awhile, but the susequent thumb injuries led me to belive that it was a bad idea. Oh well.

-T-

watch out TTTommy ,I pointed out that you must use pull string about a year ago, and got lambasted ,by all of the ring tool people,I strongly agree with you.

I'm not a fan of ring tools, and before any says it: yes a good ring tool set right will do it properly. But I get to work on like 30 different brands, jacket sizes, diameters a day. No ring tools in my hands...... I'm with TTT and 3rc, I'll stick with my snips...

Well, I didn't mention that I DO use a ringing tool, since the original question was about snips. I don't believe that one is better than the other, just that if you're going to use snips instead of a PROPERLY adjusted ringing tool, THEN you have to use the pull string.

Strings, No SHINERS FOR SURE, Helpers have a tendancey not to readjust tools.

I use the cutters on my needlnose for cutting solid wire

I cary a set of the flush cutters that TTT linked to but in my tool box along with my solder stuff for cutting the ends off batterys and caps that I solder in system boards never thought but using them for ty wraps but like metro man says how much stuff can you stuff in the tool pouch before it pulss your britches down ?

I use my snips for curring ty wraps

Well, I cover Quebec and Ontario in Canada, and everything here (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is BIX. Using the string isin't even an option to properly dress BIX blocks. It really does speed things up too.

Just for giggles, last night I ordered a new smaller pouch, and I think I'll carry: Snips, BIX tool, six-in-one screwdriver, flashlight, spudger, sharpie and my single pair BIX test block adapter.

That should lighten the load a bit. Sometimes I can't remeber why I carry the rest of that stuff in my big belt!

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

I bought one of these on ebay last year and its worked out well

I normaly carry punch tool.cable ring tool . tool to hold keystone inserts , snips, klien needlenose, klien multitip screwdriver, roll of electrical tape , roll of velcro .

it snaps on and off the belt easy

depending on what I am doing I will add or subtract tools

I recently bought a second one for times when I really do need to carry more

I was trained by the old AT&T guys, so you guessed it. We only use snips here for voice and data. Took me a while to train my guys to pull the string past the point of the ring though. After they had to go run troubles on the jacks they installed because a wire was cut they got the point. Dikes are for #6 solid ground wires.. :)

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

Hey Skip,
That's what I just ordered...Do they hod up well to the edges of screwdrivers and snips?

-T-

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

trevor

I have had mine for about a year and it really shows no signs of wear .

It works out well for what I do

(sorry about that first link , Im having some c&p problems with this browser . I real need to look more closly before I post links )

I got tired of the toolbelt that I started with, It had 10 lbs of tools but I always seemed to have to be running back to the truck anyway. Since I mainly do service work I put all the install tools in their own kitbox and got a mini tool pouch that only carries about 4 tools and a flashlight. Since I am in and out of the truck constantly the beltclip works well.

check out this:

Mind like a Steel trap - Once used forever clamped shut.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I got my new pouch this aft. and did three calls with it. My hip actually feels better already. :)

I put the rest of the tools and the big extras into one of those soft sided tool bags that I got at the same time. That thing's great too, hold all the big little stuff; can wrenches, level, soldering iron, crescent wrench, etc, etc.

I see some of theese old school Bell guys with they're entire truck hanging off of their a$$. You know the ones with the totally ripped up belts with the Aines toner pouch hanging on for dear life...

BTW Jerry, I did get the toner/probe pouch with the clip for my progressive toner/proble set, and I like the fact that I can take it on and off really quick, and I never forget my toner on the job that way. I hate doing that, they don't give you volume discounts on just the toner....duhh :p

-T-

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

I've been in telecom for 10 years now. I refuse to wear a tool belt. Anything I can do to not make us look like plumbers the better!

Klein Snips 100%

Anything I can do to not make us look like plumbers the better!

what you mean I gotta cover my but crack when I bend over ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back