Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffing on my comcast network

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewTekBuzz

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
US
I am a newbie in this area. I'm using a sniffer program called iris. I would like to know if there is a way to sniff outside of my own network... maybe up and down my street lol. how do i / can i get out on the comcast network?? or maybe even point me to a dif. forum/help page T.I.A.

First.... I'll mention that you're straying into areas that most if not all users of this forum will consider to be an inappropriate use of packet capture or "sniffing" programs. The specific product discussed in this forum is the trademarked "Sniffer" protocol analyzer marketed by Network Associates. The freeware and shareware "sniffer" products widely availabel on the Internet are most frequently just simple packet capture tools and not real troubleshooting analyzers.

That said.... you can plug your Comcast connection into a SHARED shared media hub (NOT a switched hub or switch - shared media hubs are less common than switches these days).
Then plug the PC running a packet capture program into the hub. What you'll capture is broadcast/multicast traffic that Comcast is generating and you'll also see your own HTTP request and responses but you will not see anyone else's traffic on your block or elsewhere. That's a good thing.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

Im sorry if I have crossed any lines with my question. I know this can be done, there was a show on it at techtv.com the guy said he did it with this software.. but he didnt say how lol. He came out and said he could monitor other people on his comcast drop! anyways thanks for the tip and remove this if you think its inappropriate. Sorry

It sounds like a salesman spouting what he only half understood.

Reminds me of the time I went into a customer site to help them set up their new ET05 DSS. They thought they had been told by the Sniffer Salesman that they could have "Total Network Visability" with the DSS (remember that marketing phrase that NAI used). Well, they believed that it meant that they could see any data anywhere in their network with this new device. Talk about having to be the bad guy to have to explain how the Sniffer only "saw" what the switch gave to its monitor port. They were disappointed to say the least. It was not a pleasant site visit.

Patrick

Patrick Bartkus, CCNP, CNX, SCM Sr. Network Engineer
GA Dept of Labor IT Network Services
If truth were not absolute, how could there be justice?

Patrick,

If the customer doesn't even understand the basics of switching and never doubted the salesman in what he told them. I question who's fault it is really then...?!?

AZeemeri,

Wise old Solomon once wrote: "Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs than a fool in his folly." [Pr 17:12 NIV] ;-)

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back