Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SnifferPro Wireless doesnt get on with Intel Pro/Wireless 2100...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chackt

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
ES
Hello. I would like to know if you know why NAI Sniffer Pro doesn't accept my Wireless interface corectly? It detects it, and i can select it, but when trying to 'Log on' it, it brings me an error box saying that it may be due to a set of ... possible things. Stupid things that i don't remember, but that couldn't be possible. Like having the driver installed TWO TIMES?? oh man. If they have not support for my card, why they dont just tell it? Would be better for us all, cause then i tried to uninstall/reinstall 50 times. Reinstalling even external drivers, and... other things and never managed to make it work. So... all my hopes are lost about Sniffer Pro.

Thanks.

Have you looked at the list of supported cards? I'm not certain but I'l guess that they don't yet support any of the Centrino technology and the integrated/onboard wirelsss cards that are commonplace in the newest generation of notebook PC's. The supported PCM/CIA wireless cards include some models by Cisco, Symbo, Agere Systems Orinoco and (I think) maybe a Lucent card. What you need to do is set that card up with a profile as promiscuous mode with Sniffer drivers and reserve the onboard card for normal wireless communication. When it's time to Sniff.... stick the PCM/CIA card in, select the card profile and do your thing. When you're done, put that card away and use the regular card for everything else.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

Why should I buy another wireless device when I have already one that should Work? Hey, It's not my hobby to vainly spend my money, when I bought a product that should be supported in any professional product like NAI Sniffer.

Thanks.

Some sotware ist written for a specific chipset in order to perfomr it's job. I own five different brands of wirelees cards becasue of this issue...
If you are able to spend x-thousends of dollars for the license, a dedicated card sounds affordable.
Cheers, who

Hi,
As Walter (oops, sorry Netwho) is already saying, a lot of vendors write specific drivers for some specific cards. If you install a Cisco 340 or 350 WLAN adapter, install the Cisco driver and run the Wireless Sniffer, it will not work with the card, you must use the drivers provided by NAI (they come with Sniffer) to let the sniffer work with that card.

See here a quote of the 4.7 release notes:
Spectrum 24 Model 4121 manufactured by Symbol Technologies
Aironet 340 or Aironet 350 manufactured by Cisco Systems (product numbers PCM-34x and PCM-35x, respectively)

To know exactly what type of carss is supprted, check the installation guide and the release notes of your version.
regards,
Robert

Hi:

I've found that Sniffer doesn't support any "combo" card, say, any with a, b and g standards. Those adapters must be "B only", "A only" or "G only".

This is a huge problem, I think...

Regards
Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back