Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SnifferBook Question 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LivingXL

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
Ok,
Hope someone can help out since Sniffer has been less than helpful in it's email responses to our questions.
Hardware:
Sniffer 4.5 version
SnifferBook
Crossover cable connecting the two
Motorola CSU/DSU
Cisco 75xx router

We are unable to sniff our WAN segment. We are connected (with the supplied "Y" connector from Sniffer) between our router and CSU/DSU.
We have the correct choice under adapter chosen (sniffer book)
We have established IP connectivity to the snifferbook.
When we launch Sniffer Pro, DTR, DCD and DSR are all up. Clock is not up.
We have no choices under Options to tell the Snifferbook what timing to use (full T1, Telco NOT providing timing).
The questions is, where is the snifferbook to get it's timing from if the telco is not providing?
We are using standard RS232 and V.35 cables.
Anyone suggest anything?

Have you setup under *settings* a new setting with the correct pod selected? In your case it would be the Snifferbook using the current device driver for the NIC and an IP addressed assigned to it. once you have done this, you should get the green lights for the pod.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

wybenormal....
Yes,
We have setup the "snifferbook" pod correctly. We just 2 arbitrary IP addresses (same subnet). Funny thing is we can ping the laptop from the laptop, we can ping loopback on the laptop but we can't get a response from the snifferbook. We are connected to it via a crossover cable and have a red connection on our pigtail. The Tx light on the pig tail flashes green so we can tell they're trying to communicate.
When sniffer comes up, it downloads a file to the snifferbook and all the lights on the snifferbook go green but still no data to our laptop.
Sniffer still says "clocks absent" due to the telco not providing timing on the T1 circuit.
I'm sorry I didn't specify the above earlier...
Thanks for the response..

Pin out issue. I've seen this on several occasions. Primarily it's my fault because I've plugged the bloddy cables in wrong, look for the "To Sniffer" label be sure it's connected to the SnifferBook. Check in the CSU's manual for a pin out and compare it to the on in the Sniffer WAN manual (
<i>Check the index for the info ;) </i>

Agreeing with alail, it might either be a pinout issue with the cabling or a setting under 'tools','options', 'WAN Medium Extensions'. Ensure you have chosen the correct settings here as well for encapsulation, etc.. This is what tells the Sniffer to look on certain pins on the Snifferbook port for clock. If this is set incorrectly, the clocks will show absent and may even bring down the segment.

Again, these are just stabs.. Let us know how it goes.

-A

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. Thanks for all of your help.
It was a pin-out issue. When inserting the &quot;y&quot; cable, it's looking for RS232. Not V.35. I wasn't making the conversion completely before plugging into the WANBook.
Thanks again..

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the beautiful feedback provided by you because of which I could succesfuly capture the FR packets using HTU-E1 Modems.

Actualy I was able to test the packets in 64Kbs Links but not in 2048 Kbps , It used to give the message clock not present and even the FR used to go down.

After finding suggestion from you all , I changed the speed in the Expert option to 2048 in tools in sniffer 4.

Thanks friends

Vinoj raj

your comment &quot;Sniffer was less than helpful&quot; concerns me..Did you contact tech support? If so when and who did you speak with? I want happy customers..

I have had hit and miss help with Sniffer support. Most of the guys( never spoken to a woman tech yet) are great.. but there have been a few either having a bad day or conned their way into a job.

I also have learned to ask for any in-house notes the techs may have about my problem(s).. the docs are crummy and the inhouse notes offer great insight and tips.

MikeS
Find me at
&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back