Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer Pro versions & servicepacks + Broadcom NIC on Dell-D600? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbilgrav

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2004
DK
Hi,

At work we have sniffer Pro 4.70.04
On sniffer.com I can read that the latest version is 4.7.5 SP5.
So the question is, how can I obtain the servicepack for our version ?
And does the version 4.70.04 become 4.7.5 when I apply SP 5 ?
Or is it needed with upgarde to 4.7.5 and then apply SP 5 ?

Also I would like to know if any of you have ant problems with snf on Dell laptop D600 with onboard Broadcom 10/100/1000 ?
For me it shows up as a 1000sx (fiber) NIC ?
But when I edit the inf for the driver and remove the text string with "gigabit" the driver and sniffer loads ok.
But can I rely on it ?

please advise

drjasmine-

I just started experiencing what sounds like the same problem. My Broadcom 570x Integrated Gigabit Controller on my Dell Inspiron 300m worked find on Friday. Come in on Tuesday and the nic keeps on connecting and then dropping the connection. The connection comes on-line and then goes off-line. Over and over.

As you, I have tried different things at the physical layer. Different data ports, different patch panel ports, different swith ports. What seemed to work was plugging my laptop into a hub and then putting the hub in the switch port. That worked.

So, after doing some research, I found articles that suggest disabling Spanning Tree on the switch, which in our case is a Catalyst 3550. At the time, that is not a possibility.

I tried some more troubleshooting earlier today. I have updated the driver from the Broadcom site. Did not help. I downloaded and installed the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite and the nic passes all the tests.

As a last ditch effort, I plugged the laptop directly into the switch port. The connection stayed on-line. Reattached the patch panel port to the switch port, back to my desk, and attempt to connect the laptop to the data port and no luck. NIC keeps on dropping.

That leads me to believe it has to be somewhere in the wall. I will hit the port Monday w/ a pentascanner and see what gets reported back, but I'm not expecting to find anything. Why not? Because other people, with different laptops/nic are able to work at that data port. The problem is only affecting my and my Broadcom on the Dell.

Anyone by into disabling SPT on the port to keep the connection from dropping? What impact will this have on other applications?

Thanks.

poul0004

Thank you replying the thread. I think you are a bit better off than I, as your laptop detects a signal. The indicator lights on the port at the back of the laptop, does not even light up for me when RJ-45 is plugged in, through the router by a straight-through cable or directly from the cable modem using a crossover, no luck. The broadcom card is recognized by windows as in good working condition, drivers + updates = nothing worked. The strangest thing I couldn't figure out is why wouldn't other pcmcia network cards work? (wireless or wired). For testing purposes, I was able to get online using the modem through dialup. LOL....

poul0004
Do you have spanningtree-portfast enabled on your switchport ?
Do you use VLANs ?
Try setting the switchport to nonegotiate aswell.

sounds very much like a linkflapping problem.
Try setting the nic to fixed speeds, like 100full, or 10half.
verify that you wiring are cat5e or better.
remember that gigabit-copper needs all 4 pairs to operate.
the driver has something called gigabit on wirespeed, which enables the NIC to operate on less number of pairs.
Try fidling with this parameter.

Still if no luck, your NI*C might be defective, as you mention others can use this port.

HTH

Martin Bilgrav

Back to On-topic

Sniffer Pro 4.7.5 SP5 has been reposted on the website for download.

nope - buy it (supportcontract for 1 year) and you get online access to downloads.

I have been having more annd more problems with my Dell 600M's Broadcom port, pain in the butt. Has anyone come up with a really reliable fix on this yet?

get the latest SP5 og sniffer - runs on mine like a dream
I use win2k pro
before this I edited the driver INF file and removed all gigabit statement there, this ran ok as wel

OMG - just almost got the sp5 running ...
8)
Thx for the tips, M8

The Broadcom 1000 BT is now supported but obviously there is no Sniffer driver for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back