Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer Pro versions & servicepacks + Broadcom NIC on Dell-D600? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbilgrav

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2004
DK
Hi,

At work we have sniffer Pro 4.70.04
On sniffer.com I can read that the latest version is 4.7.5 SP5.
So the question is, how can I obtain the servicepack for our version ?
And does the version 4.70.04 become 4.7.5 when I apply SP 5 ?
Or is it needed with upgarde to 4.7.5 and then apply SP 5 ?

Also I would like to know if any of you have ant problems with snf on Dell laptop D600 with onboard Broadcom 10/100/1000 ?
For me it shows up as a 1000sx (fiber) NIC ?
But when I edit the inf for the driver and remove the text string with "gigabit" the driver and sniffer loads ok.
But can I rely on it ?

please advise

Latest version is Sniffer Pro 4.7.5 Service Pack 4 not 5.
You can obtain the latest version by downloading it from the website. Use your valid Grantnumber to login.
You need to uninstall your old version and install the new version. The version 4.7.5.SP4 is a full installation file.

The Broadcom card is not supported as this is a 10/100/1000 card and Sniffer Pro LAN does not like gigabit with a card without a capture buffer for obvious reasons.
If you remove the 'gigabit' entry in the inf file it works fine for 10 and 100. And you can rely on it too.

You will be missing the Sniffer driver functionality too though as a normal NIC will drop error frames instead of passing them on like a sniffer driver to the Sniffer software.

ok - thank you very much fr feedback !
But where/how do I obtain a "Grantnumber" ?
(What is that btw ?)

Maybe a stupid Q, but I am new to these terms.

regards
Martin

Hi AZeemeri

I get a Sniffer Pro v 4.70.530 and i can't activate it on my DELL 600 GigaEthernet card.

In which inf file did i need to remove the "Gigabit" information ?

Thanks for your anser.

Regards.

(Sorry for mistakes but i'm french !)

I can answer that:

Int the inf file, simply open it in notepad and mark and delete any gigabit in the cleartext, so that what once read:
"Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller" now reads "Broadcom 570x Integrated Controller"

It is found under the "Localizable strings" part of the inf file, at the end of the file. Then under OEM1_DEV4 and OEM1_DEV5, but what I did was remove every every Gigabit entry, under all strings.

mbolgrav;

Thanks a lot for these informations but i repeat my question : In WITCH INF file did i have to change this value ?

Regards.

You can obtain a grant# from network general. It should be included with your license.

A little glimps in the future (next week):

Sniffer Pro 4.7.5. SP5;

This release offers new support for 10/100/1000 Ethernet integrated NICs in laptops using NDIS drivers on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

The Broadcom BCM5705M NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Controller is certified for Sniffer Portable.

YES !
Sound really nice !
Much abliged for the info

finally obtained our grant number.... then its expried...
Darn
When is SP5 out ? I still can not see it on the versions-webpage

How come every posting by mbilgrav has a "Thank you for a valueable post" Star?

Seems odd to me...

Patrick

SP5 has been released!

New Features in this Service Pack

This release offers new support for 10/100/1000 Ethernet integrated NICs in laptops using NDIS drivers on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
The Broadcom BCM5705M NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Controller is certified for Sniffer Portable.
Differences between NDIS drivers, Sniffer enhanced drivers, and proprietary Gigabit solutions (Xyratex cards) are denoted.
This release provides the ability to bind and load multiple instances of Sniffer Portable if there are multiple interface cards in the same machine.

super !
Oh my - cant wait to get my grant number now !
Just purchased one more year, and awaiting the closure.

bummer !
Sniffer seems to have recalled SP5, due to serious bugs.
I called techsupport and they say that it is correct, that the download are gone from the grant-website
Next week they say

Darn, paid 1600$ for a piece of worthless paper with a grantnumber on it....
:-(

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. I have a major network issue with my Dell D600, It runs the broadcom 570x 10/100/1000 chip and has an intel 2100 3a wireless minipci card on it. Everything related to networking has just stopped working suddendly, (tried formatting and reinstalling OS with updated drivers and everything and still no luck). Broadcom card detected by windows just fine, but when network cable plugged in, it does not detect a signal, the connection indicator light doesn't even turn on. Wireless mini pci card was working fine before, now it shows an exclaimation mark (!)beside it in device manager saying that it can not be started (Code 10). I have tried numerous other pcmcia network adapters (wireless and wired), some hangs the system and some shows a connection (connection indicator light lite) to the router but does not obtain the network ip from the router, I've also tried manually entering ip address/subnet mask/dns server, it will not return a ping command to the router.

I have confirmed the working condition of the router and all the other network adapters I've tried, on other laptops they work fine, but when returned to the D600, it just doesn't work. There is no firewall on the D600, it has just the basic fresh windows installation and drivers, no other software installed.

I am stuck, in my 15 years of experience, I have never experienced a problem of such. What could be wrong with the network components on the Dell D600?

sounds like a hardware failure to me.

It appears to be hardware to me as well, but I'm not sure what hardware? as the broadcom 10/100/1000 is built onto the mainboard. but the wireless is in a mini pci form. and why wouldn't any pcmcia network cards work?

The D600 is Centrino Chips, controlling everything.

So you are suggesting the processor? I suspected that too and had checked the cooling system on the laptop, heatsink is on securely and cpu fan is running well, doesn't seem to be any overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back