Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer error ( Station not in Domain's Computer list ) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer1

Technical User
Dec 7, 2000
US
I need some help in fixing this error that my sniffer is reporting. Error is ( Station not in Domain's computer list ) I took this to my NT administrator and he said there is nothing wrong. I do not belive what my NT admin is saying.
here is the exact error.
Net station 1 = semnt01 [10.1.5.100] this is main nt server
Net Station 2 = Mtago103 [10.9.100.31] this is computer at another location in another state.
protocal (SMP)
How can I fix this ?
I will take any help I can get.
Thanks for any help you may provide.
Frank

Hi , may be this is helpful to you (obtained from
expert explain files)

Station Not In Domain's Computer List

The listed station is not a member of the computer list maintained on the specified domain controller/server. This can cause problems if the node is a local domain controller used by clients for pass-through authentication to remotely-maintained domains. It can also prevent a client from being able to log on to a domain and access domain resources.

Possible causes:

1 The computer list on the remote domain controller does not contain the station listed in the alarm. If you need to, add the node to the remotely located domain controller's computer list. This will allow that node to communicate with the domain and its resources.

2 A new computer has been added to the network and it has not yet been added to the domain's computer list. This node will not be allowed to log in to that domain and access domain resources.

Regards

Anith

Thank you for the discription but I have that.
and my pc's are going to the right domain as per my NT admin.
I need to have a fix on this and then try it to see if it will fix this problem. I have about 20 pcs all at one location doing this.
Thanks for any help that you may give.
Frank

I have also seen this in my WAN sniffs of an off-site facility. That facility has a domain controller local to it. However, I still see logon requests hit each DC in our domain. From what i understand, this is normal according to the node type you are assigning in your DHCP scope. Although each request hits each DC, only the quickest DC will respond with a logon reply. All others seem to send out an error messages stating "computer not in domains computer list".
Hope this helps...

Hi,
It's the subnet, you'll need to add the subnet mask that you netowrk is using, it isn't on of the 3 in the list, I'd guess.
Here's the path:
From Tools|Expert Options Choose the 'Subnet Masks' tab and then add in any custom subnets you may have. Luck!

-Alail

Well, we have the same error. We have an NT 4.0 PDC and BDC. I noticed all the machines that were reporting as Station not in Domain's Computer List were all NT 5.0 boxes. They all go to the same domain and as far as I know, they don't access any resources from other domains. Besides this would be prevented anyway if no trusts were established.
I am equally curious about this error. I have entered in all the subnet masks, ip, and router information needed to properly identify our network.
I also noticed that when the BDC tries to replicate, I think, it shows Access Denied.
Very interested in this,
Thanks,
DTMan

I just setup a VPN using a Cisco Pix 506 & 3640 Router.
After Cisco Certified, Twice, the configs were good, I still have the noted problem.

NT 4.0 PDC and BDC in Mass.
Win98 Machine in D.C. can Log into MA Domain.
Win2K Machine cannot be added to the Domain with the "Station not in Domain's computer list" problem.

In my case, the 2K box cannot do anything without domain privledges.

Yep same problem here,

I have a small (<10 w/s) network, NT 4.0 SP6 PDC and BDC. One W2K pro laptop that gives the &quot;Station not in Domain's computer list&quot; error, to the BDC only. I originally installed this machine with a different name on the Domain but installing Oracle killed it and I had to format and start again, but installed this time with the default computer name (instead of the meaningful one) and added it to the Domain. Does this ring any bells?

Just to add to the fun, this error seems to kill my switch requiring a reboot. So a fix would be more than appreciated!

Cheers

TheLetch

We also have seen the same thing, since installing workstations with Win2K pro and adding to our domains. Doesn't matter what domain the computer account is in, all NT logons are in one master domain. All Domain Controllers are NT 4.0. No NT 4.0 workstations or Win9x workstations are doing this. Does anyone have know how to resolve or what is happening here? My management / network people want answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back