Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sneaky way to view Body of an email without triggering return receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumaNuma

Technical User
Apr 9, 2005
US
I found out if someone sends you an email in lotus notes and has a return receipt on it. And for some reason you want to be devious and view the text in the body of the email but don't want to trigger the "return receipt" so the sender knows when you opened it up....

1) Right click on the UNOPENED email to open up the document properties dialog box.
2)Go to the second tab and in the left hand box, scroll up/down till you find the word "Body" and select it
3)then look in the right hand box. If there is text you will be able to read it without triggering the return receipt.

You can also see who else the email has ben sent to by scrolling down in the left hand box of the document properties (2nd tab) and highlight the "send to".

pictures and attachments can not be seen, only typed text.

If you have the preview pane open, it will not work. If you use the preview pane, and have it open, it is just like you opened the email and it will send a return reciept back to the sender.

Your tip works, but when you do open the mail, it will still create the RR and send it.
I prefer replicating locally, setting my location to Island, and opening the mail normally. That way, if an RR is created, it goes to my Out box where I can delete it.
Then I replicate again, and I no longer have to worry about opening the mail or not.

Pascal.

If you suspect a Return Receipt and want to read the message, simply click the "forward" button. You'll now be able to read the message without firing the return receipt.

Another option would be to create an Agent that sets the ReturnReceipt field from 1 to 0.

Mike

Sweet, thanks for the info, I always love to find out little tricks like this.

Thanks mbarron!

could you please give me the step by step process inorder to create an "Agent that sets the ReturnReceipt field from 1 to 0". or a code/scrip to create it correctly.

I appreciate it!

How I do it. I'm currently using R 6.0.3, but I set this up using R5.

While in your in-box
Go to Create/Agent...
Give the agent a name.
In the Run time area, I use "Action menu selection" and target being "All selected documents"
Click on Add Action... button
Action dropdown is "Modify Field"
Modify by "Replacing"
The "Value in field" drop down is ReturnReceipt
With New Value: 0

Mike

Thanks mbarron,

I'm currently running Lotus Notes 6.0.1, I created the agent as exactly as you discribed and it doesn't work for me. I had someone send me a test email with a return receipt but they received a RR after I open up the email. Not sure where I'm going wrong?

The agent doesn't strip the return receipt automatically - you need to run the agent from the Action menu with their email selected.

If you ran it from the Action menu, and it didn't strip the RR - I'm at a loss. Use the same method you describe in your first post, but scroll down to the RR and see what the value is before and after opening. It should be 1 before opening then 0 after.

Mike

ahh ok, i thought it would work automatically, it works like a charm now thanks. Now I'll be able to create some more agents and mess with people and send a return receipt when they don't mark an email for RR!

I would like to take this thread one step further if I may, I have today with a little playing got to the same position as above - using an agent to set the returnreciept value to 0 from the Action menu,

I would like to be able to do this on all incoming mail but we do not have the rights to run agents on the mail server.

As a work around I have created a Veiw where one of the columns shows the value of the returnrecipt flag. What I would like to do is restrict the veiw to showing the contents of my inbox or only unread e-mails - can someone let me know what veiw definition that I need to use.

Many thanks

There is not yet any way to programatically know if the document has been read or not. The only thing you have is a UI command : View/Show/Unread Only.
This operation is client-side, user choice only, and cannot be replicated in code. Unread marks are maintained in conjunction with a local file - bookmarks.nsf. Your Notes client compares the two and the ones that are not referenced show up as unread.

Pascal.

Thanks,

Given that I would not be able to design the view to show Unread mail can I get it to show the contents of the Inbox?

The Inbox is a Folder, not a View. You could create a script that copies all documents in the Inbox into your folder though.
But then again, why not just show the Inbox ?

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back