Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sneaky DB Protection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

4321z

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
GB
Hi,

I've got a database which I’ve been working on for a few years and as such it's got quite large and useful for the company I work for and they want it to be assessed by a third party, which I’m not too keen on as I can see it getting used by the third party elsewhere (you know what I mean). So what I was thinking of was hiding in the forms a date related database password. Which after a month say automatically applies a password (the same as the password protection from the access menu tools-->Security-->Set Password) to the database and closes it thus preventing any further use of it.

Any ideas?

4321z

Password protecing a database is crackable.
If you need just the code to be protected, make it an mde.
If you need the structure of your db to be protected use user level security and forms to deal with reports & queries. Distribute your mdw without the administrators users and groups. Admin user rights should be lowered down to Users group rights. Users group rights should be REVOKED for all objects.Use all the options on the StartUp and also create code to ByPassShiftKey
Oh, I hear some1 saying user-level security is crackable...

The thing is i need the third party people to be able to look at the structure of the database initially, but after a period of time they should have looked enough and then i want it to effectively stop working, i don't think they'll be good enough to crack the password once it's set

i don't think they'll be good enough to crack the password once it's set
Not good enough for a simple google search ?

I've got a database which I’ve been working on for a few years and as such it's got quite large and useful for the company I work for and they want it to be assessed by a third party, which I’m not too keen on as I can see it getting used by the third party elsewhere (you know what I mean).

The technical issues aside, I think you're missing a very important point here. If, as your post suggests, this DB has been developed by you, for your company, presumably on company time, the intellectual rights to the Db reside with your employer, not with yourself. I would avdise your employer of your concerns, but I think the final word on sharing the app lies with them.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

ok,

but does anyone know if you can set the password via vb on a form/ module?

They have to have full rights initially that's the problem i've got

The Missinglinq

Quote:
"The technical issues aside, I think you're missing a very important point here"

No i think you are, i asked a technical question.

Can you help?

set all objects to invisible, (stops the,m being imported into another database as they wont show up in the import window. dig around for set bypass key method.
there are two bits of code for this one deletes the bypass key (i.e. stops the shift key from working) the other re-activates it. stick a button on a splash form and give it the ability to reactivate the bypass function. now stick the delete bypass function on an event of your choice. if its on a date trigger then they will not be able to access the back end. Lastly look for some code here that will minimise the databse window on start up. dont forget where the invisible button is

"My God! It's full of stars...

4321z

Yes, but your technical question now says "Hide something in a form which they wont be able to read its design!" Then, how are they gonna have full rights initially?
Wouldn't they gonna be suspicious and ask about that no-read-design form?

And are you sure they wont change the date on their PCs?

missinglinq said:
" ... technical issues aside ..."
, but then the "technical issues" may include your employment status along with the afordability of legal counsel. Be V E R Y clear about the ownership issue(s), If you attempt to withhold 'company' property from being used per the companys' direction you may easily be out ... and down

I do not know how much more 'technical' you want to be but that is quite enough for most.

MichaelRed

Thank you, Michael!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back