Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNDDST Internet E-Mailing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
GB
Hello there
I think I need a real IBM Expert who actually knows something about Networking and how other OS's work as well (slight dig but is there anyone out there?)
We are trying to use the command SNDDST, a great command if it works!!!
I have been through what manuals I can find but to little or no avail on this subject, let me describe what I am doing and then maybe somebody might have had this problem before.
Firstly we generate a CSV file (Report for Excel) as a AS400 file.
We then create a SRC file and copy this Physical File to this Source File.
We then copy this Source File to a Stream File in both the /root file system (actually /var/spool/mail (you know where I am coming from) and the QDLS File system. The reason for copying to both these file systems is that we have two commands for sending mail SNDDST (System one) and an "Application" one we have been given.
Both do send out the mail and I receive them!!!
The original message is: 147kb
BUT
Firstly I receive two messages. The first one contains an attachment titled ATTnnnnn.TXT. The attachment contains my file, but only part of it!
The Second message I receive also has an attachment titled ATTnnnnn.TXT, but it has message header details (MIME Version etc) in the top of it etc. but it does have all the file contents in it???
So I have reduced the size of the file and I get it in one piece all nice an neat.

How do I allow the size of the file to be increased so that it is sent in one part?

Bit lengthy but I have been working on this for 2 days now with no joy.
Many thanks
Jollyroger
Some wise man told me knowledge is gained by asking the right questions not knowing the answers (actually I made it up but it sounds good).

There is a handy utility written by Brad Stone called MAILTOOL ( It is fairly cheap (Less than $200, don't remember exact cost) but works great. We use it here in conjuction with SPLTOOL quite often. These are shareware apps, so you can try before you buy.

iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

Please, with the IBM Machines must we always purchase something? IBM provide a very good OS but some of their Networking Stuff is proving difficult to impliment.
I would have thought the SMTP protocol would be a standard on the AS400 and as such it would be able to cope with sending a large file in one message.
OH back to the drawing board.
Jollyroger

JollyRoger, I am having the same problem with the SNDDST command (seems that I can only attach documents smaller than 128kb). I checked out the document you recommended and could not find any reference to "Message Size".
Could you please explain how you fixed the problem for yourself? Thanks. DZARDER

>Please check the document:
>>See Message Size bit.

Hello there DZARDER (what does this stand for?)
If you use the command CHGSMTPA, Change SMTP Attributes you will see that there is no parameter which mentions message size.
However if you use the AS/400 Operations Navigator (Client Access Stuff):
Network -> Servers -> TCP/IP select SMTP, right click and you will see the parameter at the bottom of the GUI Screen.
After making this change however I do suggest stopping and starting the SMTP Server.
I hope this is enough. Best regards
Ben

Thank you, JollyRoger! That quick change in Operations Navigator immediately solved my problem. I cannot tell you how many times I have looked for such a parameter when prompting the SNDDST command! This has really helped.

Thanks, David Zarder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back