Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

snapshots filesystems or lv or vg on aix 5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat115

Programmer
Feb 6, 2004
FR
Hi,
Can someone tell me if there is a solution to snapshot AIX filesystems or VG or LV for backup purpose?
I have netbackup (no agents) and i need to do a backup but i have only few minutes to stop the application and restart it. Is there any snapshot function on AIX? if not is there any other cheap and secure solution?
thanx a lot

kat

Theoretically speeking you could have run "ls -laR /YOURFS >/FILE" that will snapshot all dirs/files at current time.

You can run it via rsh from remote,no need to stop your applications for this.

"Long live king Moshiach !"

Hi,

if your files systems are JFS2 type, you can use the folowing commands to snapshot and backup your FS and VGs:

Let's have a look to man pages of backsnap and snapshot commands.

Good luck

thanks for your answers.
I'll take a look at the man pages on monday.
Does it work well?
If I have to snapshot a 140GB database (let's say VG) do I need to buy a 140GB disk?

thanks again

Hi kat115

I am faced with a similar issue. We are running an automotive application called Kerridge. Part of its' day-end processing is to backup asp's(dealerships) for the day. The application does a normal CPIO from sun6960 san storage (production) disk to cheap scsi disks. We have currently +-76 dealers backing up about 600 gigs of data on a daily basis and should have about 100 dealers by december 2004. My backup window is shrinking drastically. My backups are dependant on the CPIO, which takes up much of the time. I am in the process of testing user-directed backups (scripted to replace CPIO in application which does a normal backup from disk to a staging and vaults the backup later. The problem that the application require a seperate backup for every asp. Thus once all the dealers are rolled out, I will be running 100 streams at a time. This will cause performance degregation. I also backup other servers(50). I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 to backup all the servers.

Please advise if you have a solution for the backups or if the snap copy works for you.

Hi d3man
sorry I didn't test snapshot yet but I will during october i guess.

Hope you'll find a solution

bye
kat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back