Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snapshot Viewer won't display in IE after XP SP2? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itdamon

MIS
Mar 18, 2002
US
Hi,

We have an application that uses the MS Access Snapshot Viewer to display reports on our Intranet within a web browser. Ever since XP Service Pack 2 we can no longer view the reports in IE. It now askes us to save the .snp file to disk, and then opens in the Snapshot application. Is there any way to restore IE to display the .snp snapshot viewer files (short of rolling back to XP SP1)??

Thanks,
-Damon

(I've tried changing the file associations, lowering security settings, even a registry hack someone in the XP Pro forum suggested... still no luck [sad].)

I feel your pain. I too did all the obvious without any luck. My quest to find the answer to this elusive question is getting cold. The closest thing I could find to a solution, short of reverting back to sp1, is the Embedded snapshot viewer. You may have already run across this possible solution. Here's a link

I've found three variations of this code and haven't been able to get any of them to work. Maybe it's me. Maybe not. I do know it is very frustrating. If you find a solution please share. Good Luck......

I have not found a solution, but did find something odd. All my new Dells with the problem were shipped with SP2 and Office 2003. I had to downgrade Word and Access to 2002 (XP) for another project. Now all of a sudden it works! So now I am suspecting Access 2003 to be the culprit, but I'm not about to go around uninstalling it on all these computers! :)

I will have to give the downgrade a try although I agree with you about rolling back a whole office. There must be another solution. There always is. thanks and good luck

Hello, I'v had the same problem and I look for resolution for 3 months +/- :( and the way that I resolve :) was going to the registry and search for words snapshot and snp, in fact when you look for this word you have lot's of entries but the first i've found show me that was there the problem, I've had crystal reports and I took the idea to do the same, if you go to registry and go to key :
HKey_Classes_Root and then go to .snp, inside this key you find a key Content Type with the application/msaccess in the value, if you change this value to application/x-snp you can resolve your problem, when you open your intranet they asked if you want to open but with a diference if you want to remember for that or not you select not and they open always without prompt.
I you have any doubt you can e-mail me here he is: :)
msn->anaisa_26@hotmail.com
mail->ana.rodrigues@ammesquita.pt or anaisabel.rodrigues@mail.telepac.pt

Wishes
Ana Rodrigues

DiverPT,

Where's that "I'm not worthy...you are god" smiley whey you need him! [2thumbsup]

THANK YOU! THIS WAS THE FIX I NEEDED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back