Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snap Server, OS X - Bad Excel file saves 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy88

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2005
US
On a Macintosh, when I try to save/save-as an Excel file originating on a Snap Server, I first get the error message, "<file name> could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify the file location is correct...". Then I get the message, "Document saved successfully."

However, the file then gets renamed to a cryptic name like, "F8591000" and the original file is gone. This problem does not exist with MS Word or any other kind of common files. It does happen on a Apple Mac G4 Powerbooks with OS 10.4.1 and Mac G4 Desktops w/ OS 9.2. This Excel problem does not occur with Windows XP computers nor does it happen on the Macs when files are opened/saved to the local drive.

Hardware: Snap Server w/ OS 4.0.860 (the latest), Apple networking w/ TCP/IP on; "Server Name to Apple Shared Folder Names" on. Microsoft Networking enabled w/ TCP/IP and NetBEUI.

There seems to be little support on the manufacturer's web site and I found no info in the archives or FAQ. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA. --SK

The problem is OSX 10.4.1. As of right now there are not any known workarounds and there is not a patch available. Sorry.

clonny2-- Thanks for your time.

Do you have any more info such as a technical reference or perhaps what the problem actually is? I'd like to see if Apple acknowledges this and how I can keep up with the solution progress.

My symptons are simliar to these:

...but your post leads me to believe Microsoft is not in a position to fix this. Thanks again. If this is an Apple bug, it sure seems like a big one. --CRAZY88

I am getting the same thing happen to me. I am running w2k3 server w/windows w2k and xp workstations. People save the files to the server as excel files and you can check them and their fine but later on they will change to odd number names with no extenstion. But if you choose to open the file instead of windows prompting you to what you want to use to open this file it automatically chooses excel to open it. Has anyone seen this before?
Thanks

jimnetworkplus-- Here are some websites that may help you:

I'm guessing the delay you describe is the lack of real-time refresh rate on the workstations.

As to our actual problem, I've heard--but can not verify--the root cause is the speed of Excel's instructions. In an Excel SAVE--unlike Word or P.Point--a save is logistically a delete-file and write-file command. If the delete is not completed before the write begins, a file-exists error pops up and Excel saves under a cryptic/random 8 character name. The hotfix above is for Windows Excel only (and not Server) and does not help my Macintosh users--hopefully it will help you. Getting to the hotfix may be a whole new battle as I've heard MS is not letting this hotfix out very easily--going through your personal contact at certified support rather than consumer support will probably get you there in 1/20 the time.

I've "chatted" with MS and they refuse to acknowledge a problem with Mac Excel citing it is a network issue not an Excel issue. They must be right, they are Microsoft after all and their programs are always great and perfect!!!

While I consider this info reliable, it is unverified. Good luck Jimnetworkplus.

*Solution Found* While this does not address the SnapServer-Excel bug directly, it is a solution: turn off AppleTalk on both the SnapServer and on the Mac, and instead, use SMB (more common to Windows/Unix) to connect. This also solves the problem of copying long file names (+31 char.) to and from the SnapServer. Hope this helps someone. --Crazy88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back