Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snap in failed to initialise

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew12

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2002
GB
Hello,

I've created a secure mmc for our help desk to administer user accounts. It works fine on 2 PCs but on the other 8 I get the following error:

Snap-in failed to initialise
Name:<unkown>
CLSID:{E3SSE538-1C2E-11DO-8C37-00C04FD8FE93}

There is a KB article on this that asks for an extra statement in the PATH system variable. I've tried this and it's made no difference.

I've logged on to the PC as an administrative user and got the same error so it looks like the problem is local. There is also no consistency between the PCs that it runs on and the PCs it doesn't - they are all running XP sp2.

Any ideas?

Not sure. Will investigate. Doesn't this defeat the object of creating taskpads though?

I realise they won't be able to make any changes without the necessary delegated admin but I would have thought that it's a bad idea just to have all those tools available.

Anything here?

Snap-in Creation Failed.
thread779-1045257

When An Administrator Is Not An Administrator Anymore...
thread779-960068

DLL registation can be an issue:

Start, Run, CMD

regsvr32 certmgr.dll
regsvr32 filemgmt.dll
regsvr32 mycomput.dll

exit

Reboot and test.

Tried registering those .dlls (successfully) and rebooted but got the same error.

Unless anyone has any other ideas I think I'll have to admit defeat and install the full admin pack. Although it's frustrating as the mmc is working okay on 2 machines...

What is confusing is that this CLSID: E3SSE538-1C2E-11DO-8C37-00C04FD8FE93 is impossible. The number is a HEX number and cannot contain 'S' in its value.

There is CLSID: :{E355E538-1C2E-11DO-8C37-00C04FD8FE93}

Which is the Windows 2000 adminkpak:

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E355E538-1C2E-11D0-8C37-00C04FD8FE93}
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 3/23/2004 - 12:22 PM

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E355E538-1C2E-11D0-8C37-00C04FD8FE93}\DefaultIcon
Value 0
Name: <NO NAME>
Type: REG_SZ
Data: W:\WINDOWS\Installer\{B7298620-EAC6-11D1-8F87-0060082EA63E}\ADMgr.Ico,0

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E355E538-1C2E-11D0-8C37-00C04FD8FE93}\InprocServer32
Value 0
Name: <NO NAME>
Type: REG_SZ
Data: W:\WINDOWS\System32\dsadmin.dll

If so, the Win2k adminpak is not supported nor does it work well under XP.
Try instead:
As to your last concern: "...Doesn't this defeat the object of creating taskpads though?

I realise they won't be able to make any changes without the necessary delegated admin but I would have thought that it's a bad idea just to have all those tools available."

I am not sure I understand this issue. You have the use of "Convenience Consoles" as well as the ability to selectively install or remove tools, and quite obviously you can create your own console(s) by selecting the snap-ins desired.

The incorrect CLSID is a typo on my part. I forgot that an S can't possibly be part of a hex string.

I have installed the adminpak and the mmc started working okay. The issue I have with this is that the whole point of creating and securing a custom mmc was that so we wouldn't have to install the full set of tools on the help desk PCs.

When you refer to the ability to selectively install/remove tools are you referring to assigning the adminpak via group policy?

That's just what I'm looking for. Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back