Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNA 4.0 Upgrade to HIS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lring

MIS
Jan 22, 2002
US
We will be upgrading multiple SNA 4.0 domains to Host Integration Server. Our plan is to upgrade all NT 4.0 server to Windows 2000 first and then Upgrade to HIS. If we resolve printing issues with SNA 4.0 running under Windows 2000 then can we expect that printing will work as well on HIS since it is running on 2000. Any feedback would be appreciated. I very nervous about this upgrade but hope that HIS will be more stable than SNA 4.0. Does anyone have suggestions for upgrading SNA 4.0 to HIS?

Printing should be better under Windows 2000 than under Windows NT 4.0 particularly for heavy print users.

Windows NT 4.0 had the GDI embedded in the kernel which, while it offered some performance improvement for interactive users, caused some real doozies for servers, and not just for SNA Server users.

It's been a little while since I've had much to do with SNA Server and HIS but the implementations that I was involved with suggest that you shouldn't have too hard a time of it.

At the risk of sounding like motherhood;

(1) Get Service Pak 1, for the server AND client components.

(2) Don't get your hopes up, HIS inherits a lot of baggage from SNA 4.0. For instance, if a connection goes "out of date" you still may get errors even though that's not supposed to be an error condition.

(3) If you have any Lu 6.2 apps, test them on a test instance of HIS before you go live!

I was hoping (not very optimistically) that HIS would solve all my problems. Troubleshooting and supporting these products is not a career enhancing job when management doesn't understand that the product really has some issues.

thanks guys for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back