Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Virtual server - Connection Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

talismanuk

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2002
GB

Some time ago on this forum, there was a really good explanation of how to stop Open Relay thru a Ms Exchange 2K server. One of the recommendations was to set the Connections option in the access tab of the SMTP virtual server ,and put in access to only allow your internal IP addresses .

Can someone explain this or am I missing something here ... My Exchange 2K server is conected to a Cisco PIX which is then connected via a leased line to an ISP (i.e. connection is virtually permanent.) When I put in the restrictions so that only INTERNAL IP addresses access the virtual smtp server .... E-mails go OUT but none are received. When I take away the restrictions .... everything is fine .... But obviously ANYONE can get access ....

Am I missing something here ??????

PS many thanks to the great tekkies who keep this site buzzin Thanks in anticipation

One thread was thread858-441830
Another thread858-429058 If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

You wan to use the SMTP Virtual Server Properties. Under the Access Tab, and under the Relay... button mark Only the list below. In the list below add your ip address subnet range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back