Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP tests OK but no Email! Mail server is buggin out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyEyesAreBurning

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2006
US
Ok heres the run down, Basically I come into work and the mail server is buggin out. The SMTP service has stopped and the service will not start at all... some crazy error and event Id. Not to mention that the domain host registration ran out and the DNS records changed back to the parked DNS servers! This happened in the same day. Anyway, after correcting the DNS entries to hit my WAN side IP. I dismounted the exchange store and backed it up. reinstalled exchange along with the SMTP connector. The service starts and responds to email testing tools.

example:

SMTP Connection:

OK, connected to turnkeyinc.us...
< 220 turnkeyinc.us Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.3959 ready at Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:31:46 -0400
> HELO edit.dnsvr.com
< 250 turnkeyinc.us Hello [64.85.73.124]
> MAIL FROM:<derek@coastalcomputertechs.com>
< 250 2.1.0 derek@coastalcomputertechs.com....Sender OK
> RCPT TO:<test1@turnkeyinc.us>
< 250 2.1.5 test1@turnkeyinc.us
> DATA
< 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
> From: derek@coastalcomputertechs.com
> To: test1@turnkeyinc.us
> Subject: ZoneEdit Automated SMTP Test (turnkeyinc.us)
>
> If you received this, then the mail server (turnkeyinc.us) is probably working.
> Sent at 2009-06-30 05:31:47 by 71.76.59.21 using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
> .
< 250 2.6.0 <SERVER12VqKwRPQIWDO00000003@turnkeyinc.us> Queued mail for delivery

Not sure what to do, I'm stuck any help would be great.
Thanks,
MEAB

on other thing... This is quite important. i can send mail intra-office, that might be important.
Thnaks,
meab

58Sniper, I apologize for being so vague... I have been beating my head all day and I think I found a solution. Turns out that the POP3 Service and the IIS service were taking turns hijacking port 25 from the SMTP service.

heres a bit of the solution that I found. Fixed the port issue and allowed the SMTP service to start with out issue.

still working on on getting mail flow.

Thanks,
MEAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back