Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Service - High Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

enbw

Technical User
Mar 13, 2003
Hi,

We have an exchange 2003 SP2 server. The smtp service service seems to be generating alot of bandwidth/data which seems not to be coming from exchange. There is little in the queues and the there seems to be hardly any smtp connections occuring.
We are running symantec mail security for exchange v5 and exclaimer software.

Relaying seems to be closed.

The antivirus comes up clean.

I was wondering if anybody could give me direction on this.

Thanks

Can you elaborate on why you have concluded that it's not coming from Exchange? We'll also need you to put the diagnostics logging (on the transport) on (or turned up) so that connection information can be gathered.
Relaying might be closed but have you got some rogue workstation on the network that's submitting or is there a message loop going on or or or. Need more logging information.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Iim afraid that I'm a newbie on this and so can't conclude that it is not coming from exchange. I am new to this box. I switched on logging for SMTP and am getting alot of event 7004 7010 issues.

I have tried SMTPdiag tool. That gives passes.

When I stop the SMTP Virtual Server, this has the same effect as stopping the SMTP Service.

I am getting pings of 1500+ms on external websites.

I'm having the same problem. I have enabled logging and I'm not showing any events in the app log. I have Relaying nailed down and even preventing relaying from authenticated users. For some reason the queue is still stacking up and SMTP is killing my internet bandwidth. I can stop the SMTP server and all is well with the bandwidth issue. I can kill all SMTP Connections and clear out all the Queued mail but the bandwidth is still filled (Pinging google gives me a ms=1400). I stop SMTP Service and google pings at about ms=30. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back