Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimpi

Technical User
Aug 24, 2001
GB
Hello,

What i had to do to have SMTP running on my exchange server
and only SMTP for the moment.

thks

I do not beleive you can have both Exchange and Microsoft SMTP running at the same time and on the same server since both would need port 25 unless you change the IP port on one of them. If you only want to run one at a time go to control pannel-->services and stop the Exchange Internet mail service and start the Microsoft SMTP service. Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

I want my client able to send message in and out of my network on the internet ?

thks

configure the IMS (Internet Mail Service from your Connections Container in Exchange. Ensure that your host name is properly configured with the domain name of your Internet domain so that user@domain-name.com works.

In NT 4.0 -- host name is configured in the tcp/ip properties/ dns tab.

in Windows 2000, host name is configured in the System Applet in Control panel / Network Identification / More Button

Once this is properly configure.. users can specify your exchange server as their SMTP server. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Thanks of your answer,

i change domain name to domain of my ISP "fr.colt.net"
but when i want to restart services : "Internal Windows NT error"...

The service doesn't start.

is it a configuration error ?

Thanks

well... you'd have to name the domain of your email - for instance .. lets say my email address is alshrim@tektips.com.

My host name would have to be tektips.com

What errors are you getting in Event Viewer? This should help us troubleshoot a bit. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back