Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bprogrammer

Programmer
Aug 28, 2015
US
I have an existing system installed a few years ago. The client had an internal SMTP server. In the SMTP tab under system I entered an IP address in the SMTP server address box as 192.168.xxx.xxx. That was working for all this time with no issues. Now the client says VM to EM is not working. The companies IT department recently decommissioned the SMTP server and switched them to smtp.office365.com. The version on this system is 9.1.6.0
Can I enter smtp.office365.com in the server address or does it have to be a numerical IP address for this system version? I guess I am looking to see if this version will render via DNS or would it have to be upgraded in order to work? I don't want to just try it to see as this is a reboot change and not a merge. Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

You can enter a FQDN for SMTP servers for IPO release 9.1.

Obviously make sure that your DNS addresses are also set.

- Qz

Got it working. Previous smtp server was an internal server on same network so I learned I needed to create an IP route with LAN1 as destination with gateway IP address entered.
Thank you Qzwsa for for your guidance.

Is there any way to point an old system (Release 8.1) to a numerical IP address, Non Domain Name, that will allow the client to use office365 in which the IP address will remain valid? If I use one of the office365 server IP addresses that Office365 uses for SMTP server there is no guarantee how long that IP address will work and I can't keep changing it every time it breaks (the IP address changes from Microsoft)
Perhaps release 9.1 upgrade is the only way to make it work with a domain name?
I am being told that there is no way to upgrade 8.1 to 9.1, that the upgrade will go to release 11 but the cost is pricey just to fix the fact that old versions won't accept a domain name.
Thanks.

You can setup a relay server (I have used Stunnel in the past), so you send to an IP of a computer running the relay, then the relay sends it to the domain. I have had good success in the past using this on older systems but did not try office365. Should work though.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Thank you Critchey, I will chaeck into doing this. The client has their own IT contractor so I will ask them if we can make this work. Should be way cheaper than paying for an upgrade license.
I will provide feedback soon with results.

Customer elected to upgrade. Upgrade was a train wreck that took 5 hours but now it works. I noticed in embedded file management that the SD card in now 50% full. Not exactly sure why so full, was only 36% when I started but at least it works now.

Was the card 4GB, or 8GB?

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back