Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Server instead of POP3 Mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

parvinder69

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
IN
Hello Friends,

I'm running exchange server 5.5 on windows 2000 server. At present i got 20 pop3 mailboxes for email. I downloaded mails from pop3 boxes using exchang pop3 3rd party software. It is running on dial-up. Now i'm going to install vsat on 64kbps bandwidth which will give me 24 hours connectivity. I will also get an dedicated IP address.

I want to know do i still need pop3 mailboxes for email. As i understand that i can use SMTP server for sending and receiving mails. If yes, then how i can configure my exchange server 5.5 for this and what are the other issues i have to take care.

Waiting for suitble and early reply.

Regards
Parvinder
INDIA

SMTP is only to send mails. You still need another protocol to read your mailboxes, such as IMAP, or POP3.

Xarli

Tx for reply.

So it means, i still need pop3 mailboxes. But what abt IMAP? It is it better than pop3 for receiving mails or should i stick to my exisiting setup for sending and reciving mails.

If i IMAP is better then how i can use it?

Regards
Parvinder

DO you mean you want to run your own email server, and host it locally ?

Well may be. If for sending and receiving i don't want POP mailboxes, then what is other alternate. For sending there is SMTP, what abt receiving. DO i still need to dependent on my ISP for pop mailboxes.

Regards

Parvinder

Oh I see, well if your using your ISP's mailboxes I am pretty sure your stuck with POP for downloading off their server.

Yeah you are right. If i get dedicated ip address on VSAT in that case do i still need to dependent on pop boxes. this is my query?

hope u guide me accordingly? tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back