Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Server Error - Domain in Recipient Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellhancock

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2002
GB
Hi everyone,

i have recently installed a new exchange 2003 server and have set up the domain names it is to handel (there are about 8).

I have created MX records for one of the domains (mail01.flowswimschool.co.uk) and pointed these at the echange server. i have also added the domain to the default receipient policy in exchange (@flowswimschool.co.uk).

The problem is that when i try and send an email to this domain i get the following error:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

user@flowswimschool.co.uk

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@flowswimschool.co.uk

What have i missed? the firewall (external) has been set to forward all requests for port 25 to the server.

Any one got any ideas?

Regards

Russell

Do you have the headers for the message that you got? That "Unable to relay" may be coming from another SMTP server that is hosting that domain. Where was this MX record created and is it a network that is exposed to the internet or is it a private network?

Hi,

the MX records were set at the same company that hosts the domain - the MX records have been added as A records to point at my exchange server and then added as the primary MX records

the remaining part of the header is shown below:

----- Original message -----

Received: by 10.70.52.20 with SMTP id z20mr339586wxz;
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:27:12 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.70.21.17 with HTTP; Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:27:12 -0800 (PST)
Message-ID: <1eee7b8e0511300727l6ae8ac9i36b37fef3ea4ff4d@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:27:12 +0000
To: ian@flowswimschool.co.uk
Subject:
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_Part_25452_6956335.1133364432848"

that you for your help.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search