Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP sends Junck Mails Automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddapur

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2003
IN
Dear All,
I have a problem in Win2k Professional SMTP Server.
I am using Win2k Professional SMTP as my mail server.3 days back I installed Service Pack 4 for the system. This morning when I switched on machine after some time I found that the SMTP is sending lots of junk mails on its own every few seconds. I can see these mails in the queue. If I stop the SMTP service I can clear the queue and it sends no more mails. As soon as I restart the SMTP service again it starts sending the mail. I am using AVG antivirus . It is not able to find any virus on my system. It says there is no virus on my system. What else could be the problem. Is there any patch for this?. Is it a new virus?
Note: One more thing, the address to which it sends the mail is some junk address @yahoo.com or hotmail.com etc.
The sender and recipient are same.The content is not in readable characters.

Please help me as I need SMTP for sending mails.

Thanks and Regards
Sadguru.

Are you behind a router?

If not someone is probably using your server as a relay. I am not sure how to lock down the SMTP server to not relay messages.

Jason

NO I am not behind any router. Also I am using outpost firewall. It is not showing any intrusion. Now there are no mails in the queue since last 2-3 hours even if SMTP is running. I am not understanding what exactly is happening.

Thanks.

I'm just learning about this stuff but you probably have SMTP relay turned on. You need to disable/turn off the SMTP relay feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back